Life Around Dallas

Life Around Dallas: Bieber Fever

By Lauren Lyngstad

This past Monday, a group of three friends and myself decided to buy tickets for the Justin Bieber concert about four hours before it started. Being that tickets had been sold out for a while, we decided to visit a ticket resale site in an attempt to get some good tickets for lower than face value. Once we located four tickets in a relatively good position we contacted the seller and transferred the money.

LEFT: One of my best friends, Olivia, and I after getting our tickets!

Just like that, we were off to the American Airlines center to see one of the biggest names in the business! Once we arrived, we dashed from the parking lot all the way to the box office. But, unfortunately, we quickly realized that the tickets we had bought were in fact fraudulent. Dismayed and discouraged, we sulked outside of the building while my best friend was on the phone with her bank trying to figure everything out. We decided that we might as well make the best of it and headed over to Bieber’s tour bus to take a picture.

After we snapped our photo, a man approached us and asked us to step away from the tour bus. We told him that we were on our way out, and he asked us why. Upon hearing our sad story, he asked us if four front row tickets would make up for it. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we were just like the girls in the movie. We screamed and jumped up and down and dashed all the way through the front doors, the ticket check, and then all the way to the front row. It was truly an out of body experience, and definitely one of the coolest things I have done while I have been a student at SMU.

This instance just demonstrates the fantastic opportunities that Dallas has to offer SMU students. We are so blessed with such an amazing and beautiful campus that is only ten minutes away from one of the most bustling downtowns in the nation. SMU not only offers students amazing opportunities on our campus directly, but Dallas has a great breadth and depth of opportunities for students to take advantage of. So while you may not necessarily have “Bieber Fever”, Dallas has the Mavericks, the Cowboys, the Stars, the Rangers, the most restaurants per capita, and phenomenal opportunities in concerts and performances. I am truly never bored in this city, and I couldn’t be more blessed to call Dallas my home.