Pre-Med, anyone?

blog%20picture.bmp
Lauren Cook
lwcook@smu.edu

This past Monday at SMU, we hosted our “Mustang Monday” program for high school students. It was very busy! I think the program was a success–a long day filled with various information sessions, campus tours, meals, and Q&A time with admissions counselors, students, and staff.

I attended the pre-med information session and I found out things I didn’t know about our program here! I am a communications and psychology double major, so anything regarding the medical field is foreign language to me.

I found out that at SMU, you are immediately assigned to a special pre-med academic advisor who helps you plan your specific course of classes to take the next 4 years. Although it is busy, it is possible to study abroad with SMU as a pre-med student–especially by taking marine biology in Copenhagen or other classes in Sydney, Australia. We do offer a dental track and veternarian track, for those who did not know this! Our medical program has connections with Parkland Hospital, Southwestern, and Baylor medical organizations. We have also had some students get into Johns Hopkins medical school as well as University of Florida’s veternarian program.

PreMed%20101%20-%20Logo.jpg

If you haven’t visited campus yet, you definitely should! It is totally worth it.

Until next time,

Lauren