Blitz Build

Greg_Nelson%5B1%5D.JPG

Greg Nelson
rgnelson@smu.edu

This coming weekend is the start of the annual Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build at SMU. This year instead of building just one house funded by Highland Park United Methodist Church (HPMUC), SMU students will supply the labor for two houses. This blitz build will take place for three weekends in February. This coming weekend I think is the most rewarding in the sense that when you arrive, there is nothing but a concrete foundation, and when you leave there are interior and exterior walls up. The great thing about the blitz build is the support from the SMU community. This weekend we have about 50 students volunteering their time to help build. The next two weekends will be about 80 each. Habitat is a great way to help the community and meet members of the community. This will be the 2nd and 3rd house this school year that SMU students have helped build.

habitat%201.bmp

The work of the SMU Habitat chapter does not stop there. Currently we are planning an international build in Costa Rica that will take place in May. This will be our chapter???s third Habitat International build. Previously, we have traveled to El Salvador and Paraguay. We are currently raising funds to help pay for the materials and land to build this house in Costa Rica. It is a busy time for the SMU Habitat for Humanity chapter but it is great to continue to serve the community here in Dallas and abroad.

About Nelson, Randall Gregory

I am from Cleveland, OH and in my third year at SMU. I am studying Finance and Economics and hope to work in sports after I graduate. At SMU, I currently work in the admissions office and serve as the President for our campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity.