Finals are….Fun?

Cameron%2520Smith-thumb.jpg

Today is the last day of regular classes. After today, students across SMU will be in a shared state of panic and frustration as they attempt to cram as much information as possible into their heads before their prospective finals. This time of the year is when students come to appreciate the hard work they have (hopefully) put in in preparation for this final test. With all of the stress and worries that come with finals, I am going to remain positive and list some of the reasons why finals can be fun:

Celebration of Lights: This is an SMU Tradition in which the entire school gathers the weekend before finals. The entire Dallas Hall quad is lit with white lights. Students and alumni alike join in singing Christmas Carols and sharing holiday cheer. As freshmen last year it was one of my fondest memories. In a time of intense stress revolving around finals, it is a great way to relax, put things in perspective, and share some school spirit.

“Club” Fondren- This is the student given name to our largest and 24/7 library. During finals, this library is the studying place of choice for many. The term “Club” Fondren resonates from the fact that so many students are at the library at times, it becomes quite the hangout.

Coffee- This year in particular, I have become an avid coffee drinker. With 8 AM classes and little sleep, caffeine is somewhat of a life saver. With late nights spent in the library trying to stay awake, coffee will undoubtedly be one of my closest friends this week.

Satisfaction in doing your best- When I was little, my mom used to tell me that there is no better feeling than getting a great grade in a class that you have worked hard for. In many ways that is very true, especially in college. After working all year long in your classes to achieve good grades and learn the subject material, it all comes down to your final test that is a significant portion of your grade. That feeling after having taken the test, and proven that you have learned the material is one that always makes all of the hard work worth it.

Home for the Holidays- After finals, students are given a LONG break (almost a month) to spend back home getting geared up for another semester. Nothing beats spending time with family, especially during Christmas time.

After all that, it sounds like finals aren’t all that bad! I have plenty to look forward to, and after a semester of hard work I am proud of its time to show those tests who is boss.

This entry was posted in Academics. Bookmark the permalink.