Fair Fun

Greg%20Nelson_pict.jpg
Greg Nelson
rgnelson@smu.edu

In Texas, as the calendar switches from September to October, yes it means football is in full swing, but it also means that the Texas State Fair has arrived. The State Fair takes place in Fair Park by the Cotton Bowl in East Dallas and takes place from September 24- October 17.

There are so many things to do at the State Fair like, ride the rides, play the games, visit car shows, light shows, petting zoos and of course seeing Big Tex. He is a 52 foot tall Texan dressed in traditional Southern Clothing from head to toe. There are also football games on select Saturdays during the fair, one being the annual Red River Rivalry between U Oklahoma and U Texas. If you also like fried food, then you have come to the right place. At the State Fair you can find your favorite type of food, fried. They have had anything from Oreos to Beer and other interesting foods. Paste the link into the browser to see a list of past fried food award winners (http://www.bigtex.com/sft/Nav/foodinformation.asp).

So why am I telling you all this? What does this have to do with SMU? Well first of all, the Mane Desk in our Hughes Trigg Student Center can hook you up with specific discounts for the fair on tickets and some other items. They also provide many different opportunities to save on activities. Also, this could be one of the answers to the commonly asked question, “So what do you do around campus?”

It is a great place to go with friends and enjoy a little of what Texas and Dallas have to offer. I have been twice before. Once for a photography project for photo class (I believe I still have the pictures but will add them at another time) and the other time was just for fun. It is a great place to go and get away from campus for a bit.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week and month. On a side note, we played TCU last weekend on ESPN and we were winning in the 3rd quarter, but lost in the end. It was a new Stadium record for SMU. 35,481 people were at the game last Friday and the atmosphere was awesome. We play conference foe Rice this weekend.

GO MUSTANGS!

About Nelson, Randall Gregory

I am from Cleveland, OH and in my third year at SMU. I am studying Finance and Economics and hope to work in sports after I graduate. At SMU, I currently work in the admissions office and serve as the President for our campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity.
This entry was posted in Life Around Dallas. Bookmark the permalink.