Life After Death

Greg%20Nelson_pict.jpg

Greg Nelson
rgnelson@smu.edu

It is so exciting being back on campus and now that football has started up again, the hilltop is flowing with excitement. After SMU’s 8-5 season last year ending in a Hawaii Bowl blowout over Nevada, the expectations for this year is more than just a few wins. Last year was the first year in 25 years that SMU had been to a bowl game. This is because the NCAA gave SMU the “death penalty” in the mid 80′s, for football recruiting violations, which caused them to lose their football program for 2 years. SMU struggled every year until last year, finally making it back to a bowl game under second year head coach June Jones. Signs around campus and newspaper headlines have read, “Life After Death,” meaning that SMU football is on its way back to where it was before it was taken away, and that was a top 25 team in the nation. Thus far this season we are 1-1, with a close loss to Texas Tech at Tech and a 21 point win against conference opponent UAB at home this past weekend. We have Washington State at home this coming saturday, and we are all expecting great things. Continue to look my blog, thoughts and updates on SMU football and the feeling and traditions on campus.

As always… GO MUSTANGS!

About Nelson, Randall Gregory

I am from Cleveland, OH and in my third year at SMU. I am studying Finance and Economics and hope to work in sports after I graduate. At SMU, I currently work in the admissions office and serve as the President for our campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity.
This entry was posted in Athletics. Bookmark the permalink.