Oil. Cotton. Football. (and Rain?)

DSC02004_2.JPG

By Courtney Steele
csteele@smu.edu

Hi y’all! I hope you’re having a good week so far (and staying dry, if you’re in Texas).

Story time: I was working out at Dedman with my roommate on Saturday (working toward my afternoon FroYo, of course). As I looked around at every screen surrounding the area, I saw something that could only be witnessed at a school residing in the Lone Star State. Each TV – each grand flat screen, each petite individual screen, every single television in Dedman – had a football game, SportsCenter or other comparable football recap gracing the screen. Only in Texas.

Southern football tradition, to someone coming from a tiny high school in the rolling hills of Boulder County sans football team, is assumed to be a gross exaggeration of reality. If I have learned anything during my time at SMU, it is that I was completely, utterly and grotesquely wrong. Today, I have been converted to the Texas football way of life. The symptoms of being converted? The weekend’s game (the who’s in, who’s out, who’s hurt, who’s playing, and who the new recruits are that will be gracing the field) is the talk of your week, you opt to work with the football recruiting office at each of their events, and you have your sundress and cowboy boots for the Boulevard picked out Wednesday before the game – that is when you know you have been converted to Texas football.

Our boys play UAB this weekend – they’re looking for a big win after the scare they gave Tech last weekend!

Have a great rest of the week! Pony up!

About Courtney Steele

STU UnGrad
This entry was posted in Athletics. Bookmark the permalink.