Trip Fundraisers

Greg_Nelson%5B1%5D.JPG
By Greg Nelson
rgnelson@smu.edu

The school year is almost over, but the fundraising is heating up. Habitat for Humanity is working on collecting money so we can go on a mission trip to El Salvador once classes let out for the summer. It is a big expense to go on one of these trips, so we have been fundraising for them to make this trip possible. First donations are always great. We got a donation from HPUMC, the Methodist Church on campus that we partner with on the Habitat builds in Dallas. We also received a donation from Southwest airlines. There were still more funds to be accounted for. We held a bar fundraiser last week where we charged a cover charge to get into the bar. We also accepted donations as well. What I have been working on to fund the trip is a fundraiser with California Pizza Kitchen (CPK). We get 20% of every check that is turned in with a fundraiser flyer. Though we don’t get a lot from this event, as we have seen in this economy, every little bit helps. We are getting closer to reaching our goal for funds, and we are very excited to building in El Salvador at the end of the semester.

About Nelson, Randall Gregory

I am from Cleveland, OH and in my third year at SMU. I am studying Finance and Economics and hope to work in sports after I graduate. At SMU, I currently work in the admissions office and serve as the President for our campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity.