Service Driven

Greg_Nelson%5B1%5D.JPG
By Greg Nelson
rgnelson@smu.edu

This past weekend I spent some time fundraising and meeting for SMU’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity. This is a big semester for us in terms of fundraising and service since we are looking to travel to El Salvador when classes let out for the summer. So it is very important to collect money through donations so that we can afford the necessary materials to build the house in El Salvador. On Saturday, I spent a few hours in front of the entrance at Kroger trying to collect “Change for Change.”

Sunday was a big day for the SMU Habitat for Humanity Chapter. It would be the first time that elections would be held to have governance in the group. I decided the week before to run for Vice President to get more involved with organizations on campus that connected to the Dallas community. (I have done service oriented activities since I was younger, back in Ohio. So this was something I felt that I needed to do, get involved with the community I live in.) That evening of the meeting, the voting took place and then the votes were counted. The results showed that I got the second most votes, which made me VP of the Habitat chapter. I am really excited to learn more about the chapter and service this coming semester and I am even more excited to take on a leadership role and make a bigger difference in the Dallas community! This is just one of the many ways to get involved in the SMU community and make a difference in the city where you live.

I encourage you that no matter where you come from or how old you are, that you find a way to give back to the community and its people, because we are all very blessed with what we have.

About Nelson, Randall Gregory

I am from Cleveland, OH and in my third year at SMU. I am studying Finance and Economics and hope to work in sports after I graduate. At SMU, I currently work in the admissions office and serve as the President for our campus chapter of Habitat for Humanity.
This entry was posted in Campus Life. Bookmark the permalink.