Surprisingly new semester is not a shock

By Lauren Cook
lwcook@smu.edu

So I thought that I would be more stressed out with this semester, being that my performance in 4 of my 5 classes affects whether or not I get accepted into the 2 majors I am pursuing (Corporate Communications & Psychology). Not to mention, I am still an RA and had to go through training at the end of break, I still babysit for 2 different families, and I am also involved with Young Life and ONE28 with SMU. Oh yeah–and I am a hilltop ambassador here in the admissions office! Safe to say, I’m pretty busy. That’s college for ya.

But I have come back to school this semester in a more relaxed state. I know what I can do and what I have achieved, so all I have to do, is be as dilligent with my time as I was last semester (and even more) and then I will be guaranteed to stay on track! I’ve actually tried out this new method of studying that I want to tell you about. (I’m quite proud of myself because it is somewhat difficult to keep up with). Basically, I think of my day (in regards to school) as starting at 8am and ending at 5/5:30pm. This sounds like a typical work day, right? Well, it is. In other words, when I’m not in class, I’m out studying either at one of our libraries or in my residence hall’s lounge. And I do NOT allow myself to go back to my room to study! Even though I’m in my residence hall sometimes, I only allow myself to go back to my room to grab food, get books, or change. Then I make myself leave to go in a lounge or to the library. It has saved me so much time! The reason I decided to do this was because I used to take breaks in my room a lot and then have so much homework left to do at night. I am trying not to waste as much time taking breaks or finding the “perfect” study spot, because that eats up so much of my time during the day. I am proud to say that I have tried this for a 8 days now, and it has been working! I have more free time at night, and although I still have some homework, it’s not nearly as bad and I can enjoy myself more with my friends.

That’s all for now. I am including a picture of my RA staff right before break. We had professional pictures taken. It was a blast!

16552_600209792789_18812101_35506743_6421433_n.jpg

This entry was posted in Academics, Residence Life and Student Housing. Bookmark the permalink.