Home Sweet Home

Cameron%20Smith%5B1%5D.JPG
By Cam Smith
camsmith@smu.edu

Part of being in college away from home, is the sometimes uncomforting fact that you will be away from your parents and family for several months at a time. It is natural for first year students to feel some amount of being “homesick.” Being away from your close high school friends and in a brand new environment can be challenging. However, most everyone is able to get over these emotions once they have settled into their daily lives in college. When I came to college, I realized that everyone including me was in the same boat in terms of being away from home. After a few months, these feelings went away and I found that SMU had become my new home. Some of my best friends are the ones that I have met here.

This past weekend I went home for the Thanksgiving Holiday. One thing I have learned is that in being away from my parents is that I have a greater love and respect for them. In being home, I appreciate all the time that we get to spend together because it is more limited. I look forward to these breaks when I have a chance to see my parents and my two brothers. It is a great change of pace from the hectic college schedule and a free meal here and there never hurt anyone! I have three weeks left in the semester to work my tail off and get my grades up, then I will be back for winter break. I find that whenever I go home, I feel reenergized and ready to tackle the tasks ahead. It was a very pleasant thanksgiving, and now I am placing my focus upon these next few weeks and studying and working hard.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.