Home Sweet SMU

Derek%20Hubbard.JPG
By Derek Hubbard
dhubbard@smu.edu

For many students, college is the first opportunity to be away from their parents for an extended amount of time. I know this was the case for me when I was a freshman. Coming to college opens ups a world of possibilities. You will have more responsibility, endless freedoms, and tons of ways to enjoy being away from home. On the other hand, being away from home can also bring discomfort and uncertainty. With that being said, the road to ensuring that you do not have to have road bumps in your freshman year lies within yourself.

When I was a freshman student here at SMU, I dealt with bouts of homesickness. My parents are only 2 and half hours away from Dallas. However, I still long to be able to see them face to face or hug them. The only way to be able to tame homesickness is to get involved in SMU. The university offers so many unique opportunities to have fun, learn new things, and meet new people. Completely immersing yourself in the culture of SMU is a surefire way to guarantee that you will have a great time while you are here. Studies have shown that students who are involved on campus tend to make higher grades then those who are not.

I speak for a lot of current students when I say that SMU has become our new home. SMU is a great place to be and to learn. I no longer have to deal with homesickness because SMU has become my family, and I love it!

Until next time…Pony UP!

This entry was posted in Campus Life, Residence Life and Student Housing. Bookmark the permalink.