Hey Big Spender

Cameron%20Smith.JPG
By Cameron Smith
camsmith@smu.edu

When first arriving at college, I came the rude awakening that things cost money, and often times too much. Once at college many of the financial burdens of eating and spending on entertainment were on me. In high school, I found it easy to ask my parents for money for the occasional movie ticket. In college I soon realized how quickly by bank balance was evaporating. Being in college, I have learned how to be a more efficient spender. The first rule is, avoid buying name brand toiletries because they cost more. When eating out, get a water cup to avoid the expensive soft drinks. Take advantage of the meal plan. With the meal plan available to students, one is able to eat on campus whenever needed. If you have already paid for it, use it! Avoid being an impulsive buyer; having the discipline to not buy things you don’t need is the first step towards financial happiness in college. But most importantly, GET AN ON CAMPUS JOB!!! Last year I had a job working at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports. It was a great job, and it allowed me to work on homework occasionally while getting paid. It gave me the chance to meet a lot of people as well as have some extra spending cash for the weekends. If you follow these simple steps, you will be on the right track towards being a more efficient spender!

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.