Artist’s rendering of SMU’s southeast campus residential complex, which will help support the University’s Residential Commons experience.
SMU Provost Paul Ludden has announced the appointment of eight new Faculty in Residence (FiRs) selected in the Spring 2013 semester. The new FiRs join the three “founding FiRs” as the first full cohort to become part of the University’s new Residential Commons (RC).
Faculty in Residence are chosen in a competitive selection process. When the Commons program launches in Fall 2014, each FiR will live in a residence hall and work with student leaders and Student Affairs staff to shape the Residential Commons experience.
> SMU Forum: Three SMU professors named first Faculty in Residence
Four FiRs have moved into residence halls a year early as part of the Residential Commons transition process: Ann Batenburg, Teaching and Learning, Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development; Mark Fontenot, Computer Science and Engineering, Lyle School of Engineering; Robert Krout, Music Therapy, Meadows School of the Arts; and Charles Wuest, English, Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences.
The full list of faculty members who have been appointed for a 3-4 year term, and the halls where they will take up residence:
- Ann Batenburg, Teaching and Learning – Virginia-Snider RC *
- Martin Camp, School of Law – Residential Commons 4 (under construction)
- Miroslava Detcheva, Spanish – McElvaney RC
- Mark Fontenot, Computer Science and Engineering – Loyd RC (under construction) *†
- Mark Kerins, Film and Media Arts – Morrison-McGinnis RC
- Rita Kirk, Communication Studies – Armstrong RC (under construction)
- Robert Krout, Music Therapy – Mary Hay/Peyton/Shuttles RC *†
- Will Power, Theatre – Residential Commons 1 (under construction)
- David Son, Chemistry – Boaz RC
- Tom Tunks, Music – Residential Commons 3 (under construction) *†
- Elizabeth Wheaton, Economics – Cockrell-McIntosh RC
* Living in residence during the 2013-14 academic year
† One of SMU’s three original Faculty in Residence, the “Founding FiRs”
Along with the 11 FiRs, 23 Faculty Affiliates were selected and have been working in every residence hall on campus since the beginning of the year. For more information on participating in the Faculty Affiliate program, contact Jeff Grim, Residence Life and Student Housing.
> Learn more at the SMU Residential Commons website: smu.edu/residentialcommons