SMU celebrated the completion of a new landscape for the Laura Bush Promenade in February 2009. The Promenade, a garden and seating area that intersects the University’s Fondren Library Center, was given in 1999 by then-Governor George W. Bush as a tribute to his wife’s contributions to literacy and libraries. Mrs. Bush (’68), the recipient of the 2008 Methodist Health System Robert S. Folsom Leadership Award, was surprised at the award ceremony with the announcement that the planting at the Promenade would be renovated courtesy of Lambert Landscape Company. Left to right, R. Gerald Turner, SMU president; April Box Chamberlain, president and CEO, Methodist Health System Foundation; Paul Fields, president and director of design, Lambert Landscape Company; Susan Byerly Nowlin (’67), co-chair, Folsom Leadership Award dinner; Carl Sewell (’66), chairman, SMU Board of Trustees; and Jim Koons, SMU associate vice president for campus planning and plant operations.
Latest Faculty & Staff News
- Tune In: Watch SMU’s 103rd Opening Convocation live, Sunday, Aug. 20, 2017 August 18, 2017
- SMU Physics will project solar eclipse into Dallas Hall Rotunda on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017 August 18, 2017
- Pulitzer Prize-winner Matthew Desmond to give public lecture at SMU Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017 August 18, 2017
- Save the date: SMU Fall 2017 General Faculty Meeting, Wednesday, Aug. 23 August 17, 2017
- First Impressions, lasting impact: Literary partnership completes an unfinished journey August 16, 2017