- Opening Convocation and Common Reading discussion: Sunday, Aug. 24
- First day of classes: Monday, Aug. 25
- General Faculty Meeting: 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27
- Labor Day: Monday, Sept. 1 (University offices closed)
- First Faculty Senate Meeting of 2014-15: 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 3
- Fall Break: Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 13-14
- Family Weekend: Friday-Saturday, Oct. 24-25
- Homecoming Weekend: Friday-Saturday, Nov. 14-15
- Thanksgiving: Thursday-Friday, Nov. 27-28 (University offices closed)
- Last day of classes: Monday, Dec. 8
- Final exams: Thursday-Wednesday, Dec. 11-17 (no exams scheduled for Sunday)
- December Commencement Convocation: Saturday, Dec. 20 (official close of term and date for conferral of degrees)
- Christmas/Winter Break: Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014-Thursday, Jan. 1, 2015 (University offices closed)
Robert Krout, director of Music Therapy in SMU’s Meadows School of the Arts, received The United Methodist Church University Scholar/Teacher of the Year Award for 2011-12 at the Fall 2012 General Faculty Meeting Wednesday, Aug. 22.
The award was established by the UMC’s General Board of Higher Education and Ministry to recognize outstanding faculty members for their dedication and contribution to the learning arts. Provost Paul Ludden presented the award to Krout.
Faculty Senate President Steve Edwards discussed the Senate report, and SMU President R. Gerald Turner gave updates on the Second Century Campaign and other University initiatives.
Randall Griffin, professor of art history in Meadows School of the Arts, was honored as the 2009-10 United Methodist Church University Scholar/Teacher of the Year at SMU’s Fall 2010 General Faculty Meeting Aug. 25.
President R. Gerald Turner updated the faculty on endowment issues, the incoming class, and other issues surrounding campus life.
New students arrive on the Hilltop for Mustang Corral Aug. 18, and the entire campus is gearing up for the Fall 2010 semester. Keep track of some important dates and times with this handy back-to-school calendar:
- Mustang Corral: Aug. 19-21
- First Sunday University Worship: Aug. 22, 11 a.m. in Perkins Chapel (with guest preacher SMU President R. Gerald Turner)
- Common Reading discussion: Aug. 22, 2:30 p.m. in residence halls (learn more about the 2010 Common Reading, Zeitoun by Dave Eggers)
- Opening Convocation and Rotunda Passage: Aug. 22, 5:30 p.m. (address by William Tsutsui, the new dean of Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences)
- First day of class: Aug. 23
- Fall General Faculty Meeting: Aug. 25 in the Hughes-Trigg Theater (reception at 3 p.m., meeting at 4 p.m.)
- First Faculty Senate meeting of 2010-11: Sept. 1, 3:10 p.m, Hughes-Trigg Student Center Ballroom West
- Labor Day: Sept. 6 (University offices closed)
- Family Weekend: Sept. 24-25 (SMU vs. TCU in the State Farm DFW Duel – Battle for the Iron Skillet)
- Fall Break: Oct. 11-12
- Homecoming Weekend: Oct. 22-23 (SMU vs. Houston)
- Thanksgiving holiday: Nov. 25-26 (University offices closed, no classes Nov. 24)
- Last day of class: Dec. 6 (reading day Dec. 7)
- Finals Week: Dec. 8-15
- December Graduation: Dec. 18
- Christmas/Winter Break and New Year holiday: Dec. 24-31 (University offices closed)
C. Michael Hawn, professor of church music and director of the Master of Sacred Music Program in Perkins School of Theology, was honored as the 2008-09 United Methodist Church University Scholar/Teacher of the Year at SMU’s Fall 2009 General Faculty Meeting Aug. 26.
New University Chaplain Stephen Rankin gave the invocation, and President R. Gerald Turner updated the faculty on enrollment, the Second Century Campaign and other issues surrounding campus life. Provost Paul Ludden presented newly tenured faculty members with their regalia.