ESPN SportsNation is searching for SMU’s “Face of the Program,” and you can help. Send the network your choice for the iconic image of SMU football – whether a fabled coach, a legendary player, a memorable play or unique mascot – and join other fans for discussion.
Seven track and field athletes have qualified for the 2008 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Regional Championships, hosted by Nebraska May 30-31. The following Mustangs met the qualifying standards for their events:
- Gayla Cloud, first-year, 100m hurdles
- Silje Fjortoft, first-year, 3,000m steeplechase
- Lauren Kuhner, sophomore, hammer throw
- Andrea Kvetova, senior, javelin
- Christina Mueller, junior, discus
- Ilyssa Pettigrew (left), senior, 800m run
- Kylie Spurgeon, first-year, discus
Junior swimmer Jennifer Basel and junior golfer Kate Ackerson have been named to their 2008 CoSIDA Academic All-District teams by the College Sports Information Directors of America.
Basel holds a 3.94 cumulative G.P.A. in mathematics and mechanical engineering. She helped the Mustangs to a 5-3 dual record and 12th consecutive conference championship this season with conference and pool records in the 400 IM and 200 breast.
Ackerson holds a 3.89 G.P.A. in business. She has won three career Conference USA Golfer of the Week awards and finished third at the 2007 C-USA Championships.