You’re breaking for daylight: 2017 U.S. Daylight Saving Time begins this Sunday, March 12, at 2 a.m. Don’t forget to set your clocks forward one hour, and check your computer to be sure it’s displaying the correct time.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25: Spring 2017 General Faculty Meeting
- Saturday, Jan. 28: MLK Day of Service
- Monday-Sunday, March 13-19: Spring Break
- Friday, April 14: Good Friday (University closed)
- Monday, April 17: Honors Convocation and Hilltop Excellence Awards
- Monday, May 8: Last day of classes for Spring 2017
- Tuesday, May 9: Reading Day
- Wednesday-Tuesday, May 10-16: Final examinations (no exams scheduled on Sunday)
- Friday, May 19: Baccalaureate
- Saturday, May 20: All-University Commencement and school/department diploma ceremonies
The Spring 2017 General Faculty Meeting will take place Wednesday, Jan. 25 in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Theater. The meeting begins at 3:45 p.m, preceded by a reception in the theater foyer at 3 p.m.
Faculty Senate President Jeanne Stevenson-Moessner will give the Senate report, and Provost Steven Currall will deliver the Spring Faculty Address.
Also scheduled is the annual presentation of the Golden Mustang Faculty Award for a junior faculty member who demonstrates high achievement as a scholar and teacher, the President’s Associates Outstanding Faculty Award recognizing the distinguished achievements of a tenured faculty member, and the Provost’s Teaching Recognition Award honoring excellence among full-time non-tenure track faculty members.
The SMU community will celebrate 2016 December Commencement Convocation on Saturday, Dec. 17. Retired Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown will give the address.
Ceremonies will begin at 10 a.m. in Moody Coliseum with a student and faculty procession. Doors to the staging area in Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports will open at 8 a.m. Processional groups begin forming at 9:15 a.m.; doors close at 9:40 a.m.
Prior to the ceremony, there will be a faculty breakfast at 8:45 a.m. in the Miller Champions Club, Moody Coliseum. The faculty should assemble in academic dress no later than 9:45 a.m. in the Champions Club.
The December Commencement Convocation is a formal ceremony open to degree candidates from all of SMU’s schools and professional programs. All participants must wear academic regalia; students without regalia will be directed to the SMU Bookstore to rent a cap and gown. No honor ribbons or other decorations or adornments may be worn to this ceremony, including messages or images on mortarboards.
The ceremony lasts about two hours. No guest tickets are required, and free parking will be available throughout the campus. Limited concession service will be available in Moody Coliseum beginning at 8 a.m.
Commencement participants and guests should not bring the following prohibited items to the Coliseum, including but not limited to animals (except licensed service animals), backpacks, binocular cases, briefcases, camera bags, cans, cinch bags, computer bags, coolers, diaper bags, fanny packs, firearms, glass bottles, guns, inflated balloons, knives of any size and type, laser pointers, luggage, noisemakers, purses larger than a small clutch, radios, seat cushions with zippers, pockets or compartments, selfie sticks, signs, stun guns, throwing objects, umbrellas (unless threat of rain or raining), and weapons.
All bags must be clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and may not exceed 12 x 6 x 12 inches. Bags may be one-gallon clear plastic resealable storage bags. Small clutch purses with or without straps, no larger than 8.5 x 5.5 inches, are permitted. The clutch does not have to be clear and may be carried separately or within an approved plastic bag. Items that are medically necessary are evaluated individually.
The days grow shorter, and SMU’s Fall Term 2016 is drawing to a close. Here are some important end-of-term dates to keep in mind:
- Dec. 5: Last day of instruction
- Dec. 6-7: Reading days
- Dec. 8-14: Examinations (no exams scheduled for Sunday)
- Dec. 15: Residence halls close at 10 a.m. for Winter Break (December graduates and residential students who need winter-break or Jan Term housing should contact Residence Life and Student Housing)
- Dec. 23, 2016-Jan. 2, 2017: University closed for Winter Break
- The Rotunda Recessional for December undergraduate candidates will be held at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 16, with its starting point in the Main Quad. Hot cider will be served. No RSVP is required.
- The 2016 December Commencement Convocation begins at 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 17. Retired Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown will deliver the Commencement address.
- Faculty: The traditional Faculty Breakfast will begin at 8:45 a.m. in the Miller Champions Club, Moody Coliseum. The faculty should assemble in the Champions Club in academic dress by 9:40 a.m.
- Guests: Tickets are not needed to attend December Commencement; all seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The doors to Moody Coliseum open at 8 a.m.; guests are encouraged to find their seats by 9:45 a.m.
- If you are unable to attend December Commencement, you can watch the ceremony via livestream. Tune in to smu.edu/live beginning at 9:45 a.m.
A quick look at the start of 2017