In anticipation of a capacity crowd for SMU Football’s home opener against Baylor, the University is asking students, faculty, and staff members to temporarily give up their parking spaces near Ford Stadium to accommodate visitors on game day and the evening before.
Several departments worked together on logistics for hosting the Friday-night football game, scheduled for Sept. 4, 2015. “Our goal is to minimize the impact of game day activities on our instructional activities while also showing a national audience the spirit and energy that surrounds the SMU community,” read an all-campus e-mail from SMU Information dated Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015.
The message also included a parking relocation map for 2015 home football games, included below.
Detailed SMU parking instructions for Sept. 3-4, 2015
On Thursday, Sept. 3:
- Students with Student or Resident parking permits may begin relocating their vehicles on Thursday at noon to the Airline and Law Parking Centers.
- Beginning at 5 p.m., all resident students will need to relocate their vehicles to the Heroy Lot, Airline Parking Center or Law Parking Center.
- Resident student vehicles must be removed from the areas indicated in red stripes on the map below by 11 p.m.
- Resident student vehicles left in the areas indicated in red stripes below after 11 p.m. on Thursday, September 3 will be towed to Airline Garage and an $80 relocation fee assessed.
On Friday, Sept. 4:
- Please plan for extra time to find parking on Friday morning and early afternoon. We also suggest that you arrive early to the campus for best availability. The last time a similar event took place, the Heroy Lot and Airline and Law Parking Centers filled very early in the morning. (Please note that the Airline Parking Center is the destination for towed student cars not moved by the Thursday night 11:00 p.m. deadline.)
- Faculty, staff and commuter students with a valid SMU parking permit needing to remain until 5 p.m. may park in the Mustang (A) or Moody (B) Parking Centers as well as lots L, M, R, U and V. Entry to these locations will be suspended at 3 p.m. – exit only after this time. If you wish to stay for the game and you are parked in one of these lots, please pay to park beyond 5 p.m.
- Faculty, staff and commuter students with a valid SMU parking permit and able to leave by 3 p.m. may park in the Binkley (C) or Meadows (F) Parking Centers as well as lots D, E and G. Entry to these locations will be suspended at noon – exit only after this time. If you wish to stay for the game and you parked in one of these lots, please relocate your vehicle to lot A, B, L, M, R, U or V and pay to park for the game.
- Note that these same parking lots and garages will also be available for visitors seeking gameday parking.
- Limited free parking is available on East Campus; make sure you park in the designated areas for SMU faculty and staff. You can also park for free at the Mockingbird DART station.
- Bishop Boulevard will be closed to traffic at 4 p.m. Anyone arriving to or leaving from campus after 12 p.m. will be directed to areas north and east of campus.
- Please be aware that on-street parking around SMU is now governed by a resident permit system. Park Cities authorities may ticket or even tow vehicles illegally parked.
- Additional Game Day parking info and map can be found online at SMUMustangs.com.
- Questions and concerns about game day parking should be directed to the Athletics Department, 214-768-2106.
Vehicles may be returned to their normal parking areas following the end of the football game on Friday night. They must be removed from their temporary locations no later than 7 a.m. on Tuesday to avoid receiving a citation. If your vehicle has been towed, you may retrieve it from the rooftop of Airline garage before 7 a.m. Tuesday. Vehicles left there after 7 a.m. Tuesday are subject to a citation.
Students, faculty and staff are reminded that the communities of Highland Park and University Park have established resident-only parking areas near the SMU campus. Cars without resident parking or guest permits may be cited or towed by the Park Cities police departments.
All parking on campus is managed by the SMU Athletics Department during home football games. Please contact the SMU Athletics Department directly at 214-768-2866 or AthleticsGameDay@smu.edu for additional game day parking information or assistance. Please visit http://www.smumustangs.com/parking/ for more information about parking on games days.
About GuestAssist: Getting to the Game and Getting Around Ford Stadium
The GuestAssist app enables SMU football game attendees to start a text message conversation with Ford Stadium staff directly. Navigating the smart phone application – available in both iPhone and Android format – can help you stay up to date on parking information, give you directions to your gate, or assist you in finding the closest location of a concession stand.
Download the free GuestAssist App:
Send your text question or observation to: 214-516-7010