Double weekend away: SMU volleyball will travel to Memphis Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 for a 6 p.m. game and to Temple Sunday, Oct. 13 for a noon game. The Mustangs are 6-4 all-time against the Tigers but this will be the first time they face Temple. SMU is currently tied for third in the American Athletic Conference with a 3-1 record and they are the second-most efficient hitting team with a .228 attack percentage.
CCI: SMU men’s tennis will play in the Collin County Invitational in Plano this weekend. The men just wrapped up the ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa where three players advanced to the main draw, Oct. 3-6, 2013. Junior Arturs Kazijevas played singles and fell in the second round of the consolation singles and sophomore Nate Lammons and senior Alex Sanders played doubles, for the first time together, and lost in the first round of consolations doubles. The 2013 Collin County Invitational is Oct. 11-12.
- Men: SMU men’s soccer plays at Cincinnati this Saturday, Oct. 12, at 6 p.m. SMU is 3-1 all time against Cincinnati who is currently 0-4 in the American Athletic Conference. SMU is 1-1-1 in the conference after a tie against Temple earlier this week; sophomore Eddie Puskarich made the sole goal of the game. Head Coach Tim McClements commented on the game versus Temple, “We would have much rather had three points than one point, but I felt that we played well in the first half. I’m really proud the players came back after the goal in the second half and retook over the game at the end.” (SMU Athletics)
- Women: SMU women’s soccer travels to New Jersey this weekend to play Rutgers Sunday, Oct. 13, 2103 at 12 p.m. SMU has a 2-2 record in the American Athletic Conference setting them at fifth. The last time SMU and Rutgers met was in 1989 and the Mustangs won; they are hoping for another victory this weekend.
Highlights: SMU Athletics Recognized
- SMU senior quarterback Garrett Gilbert was named the American Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Week. Additionally, he was named to the honorable mention list for College Football Performance Awards National Quarterback of the Week and the honor roll for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award. Gilbert broke five single-game school records at the SMU vs. Rutgers game.
- SMU senior wide receiver Jeremy Johnson was named the National Player of the Week by the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award and the National Wide Receiver for the Week by College Football Performance Awards. Johnson tied the school record with 18 receptions and broke the school record with 217 receiving yards at the SMU vs. Rutgers game.
- SMU senior and women’s soccer player Courtney Smith was named to the National Team of the Week by TopDrawerSoccer.com.
- SMU cross country is rated fourth in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCA) South Central Region poll.
All photos via SMU Athletics