Brown Bag Returns: The highly anticipated Brown Bag Dance Series returns on Monday, Oct. 1. The Meadows School of Art Division of Dance will perform at lunchtime daily through Friday, Oct. 5. The performances include 10-15 of original ballet, modern and jazz works; giving the SMU community a taste of the different dance styles. Performances are free and in the Bob Hope Theatre Lobby of the Owen Arts Center. Students, Faculty and Staff are encouraged to enjoy their lunch while watching the talented dancers perform.
PwC: The PwC SMU Athletic Forum produces four annual luncheons every year that honor sports legends. On Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012, Super Bowl champion and football head coach, Sean Payton will be the featured speaker for the Red Mountain Resources Luncheon. The forum is in its 23rd season of bringing these high achieving individuals to Dallas and forum proceeds are used to support SMU athletic scholarships and operating initiatives. The luncheon will be held at the Hilton Anatole Hotel and begins at noon. Please contact Jeff Lockhart for more information.
McFarlin Auditorium: Every year McFarlin Auditorium hosts several special events. Here’s a look at the month of October:
- October 3, 2012: The Carrington Endowed Lecture Series presents “India Now” featuring The Honorable S.M. Krishna ’59, Minister of External Affairs for India. The lecture begins at 6 p.m. and registration is free.
- October 7, 2012: David Byrne and St. Vincent concert at 8 p.m.
- October 9, 2012: Tate Lecture Series featuring Regis Philbin at 8 p.m.
- October 17, 2012: Tower Center Medal of Freedom Reception 4:30 p.m.
- October 22, 2012: Norah Jones Concert at 8 p.m.
- October 26, 2012: Pigskin Revue performance at 8:15 p.m.
- October 27, 2012: NPHC Stepshow at 7 p.m.
Basketball in the Big East: SMU Basketball Coach Larry Brown is speaking on SMU Basketball in the New Era, Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012. Brown boasts an impressive resume; he is the only head coach to win championships in both the NBA and NCAA. Coach Brown will speak on his plans for SMU Basketball in their 2013 season and debut in the Big East Conference. The luncheon is in the Ernst & Young Gallery in the Fincher Building and will begin at noon. Tickets are $12.00 for Faculty Club Members and $15.00 for non-members, and you must RSVP by Sept. 30, 2012.
Presidential Election 2012: SMU is hosting a Presidential Debate Series for SMU and the Dallas Community. The series will feature a viewing of the televised presidential debates, for the fall election, in the O’Donnell Auditorium with a public debate and ballot opportunity afterwards. The SMU debate program will moderate the event. The viewing will start at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 3. 2012. The other dates in the series are, Oct. 11, 16, and 22.
(All images courtesy of SMU)