Seven outstanding legal and business professionals were in the spotlight when SMU’s Dedman School of Law presented its 2012 Distinguished Alumni Awards Saturday, Feb. 25, at the Westin Galleria.
A tradition since 1986, the awards dinner is the Law School’s premier annual event. An alumni committee selects recipients who are standouts in their respective fields, and an honorary award given at the invitation-only ceremony also acknowledges exceptional service to the school.
This year’s awards and recipients were:
- Edward B. Rust Jr. (’75), Robert G. Storey Award for Distinguished Achievement
- Judge Dean M. Gandy (’48, ’50), Distinguished Alumni Award for Judicial Service
- U.S. Attorney Sarah R. Saldaña (’84), Distinguished Alumni Award for Government Service
- Justice H. Harjono (’81), Distinguished Global Alumni Award
- D. Wayne Watts (’80), Distinguished Alumni Award for Corporate Service
- W. Richard Davis (’56, ’58), Distinguished Alumni Award for Private Practice
SMU Trustee Carl Sewell received the Law School’s Honorary Alumnus Award. Sewell is chairman of Sewell Automotive Companies and received his B.B.A. degree in banking, finance, and economics from the University in 1966.