SMU tops Texas private universities in final RecycleMania 2011 standings

SMU RecycleMania logoAggressive recycling by students, faculty and staff pushed SMU to first place among Texas private colleges and universities in the 2011 RecycleMania competition’s per capita category. The University amassed a whopping 18.15 pounds of recyclable material per person over the eight-week competition.

SMU placed second among all 22 Texas colleges and universities in the per capita category, and in the top 15 percent nationwide when the results were measured against the 363 colleges and universities competing in that category.

This was the 11th year for the annual RecycleMania competition, and only the second year that SMU has entered the competition division.

“I want to thank everyone on campus for their participation,” said Eric English, environmental manager and co-chair of the SMU Sustainability Committee. “Since this was only our second year in the competition division, I believe you all should give yourselves a big round of applause. I can’t wait until next year.”

Results in the various RecycleMania categories were measured for eight weeks, Feb. 6-April 2. The tournament started with two pre-season reporting weeks beginning Jan. 23, meaning that RecycleMania was a 10-week experience for participating colleges and universities.

SMU collected 119 tons of recyclable material during this year’s competition, compared to 78 tons collected during the 10-week period last year. The Sustainability Committee also sponsored an inter-campus recycling competition during RecycleMania, resulting in these winners in three categories:

• Residence Hall Winner: Perkins Hall
  • Academic/Athletic Facility Winner: Bridwell Library
  • Area/School Winner: Central Library

Written by Kim Cobb

> Find more RecycleMania 2011 results at the SMU News site
> Learn more about recycling from Sustainability @ SMU

About Kathleen Tibbetts

EA-PubAffairs(Periodicals)
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.