Another year, another new wave of students and prospective employees at SMU. And while students attend college for the education and higher learning required to get them to that dream job or career, are their interview skills, résumés and personal grooming quite at that same level?
For those without definite answers to that question, the Career & Internship Fair Prep Day event on Sept. 1 is something students should consider marking down on their calendars.
A precursor to the Career & Internship Fair Day itself (to be held two weeks later on Sept. 16), Prep Day is a Hegi Family Career Development Center-sponsored event at the Hughes-Trigg Student Center where student applicants receive a variety of workshops on preparing themselves for seeking that future job.
- Resumania (1-4 p.m.): Students meet one-on-one with employers, who provide valuable feedback on their resumes to use in job and/or internship searches.
- Job Search Prep For International Students (1-1:50 p.m.): A workshop specifically designed to help SMU international students navigate and understand the job search process.
- How To Succeed at the Career & Internship Fair (2-2:50 p.m.): Students will learn valuable tips and hints on how to make the most of their time and how to leave a good impression on prospective employers at the C&I Fair.
- Dress For Success (3-3:50 p.m.): What to wear for that killer interview? Students get a tutorial on how to visually impress and ace the interview with the help of a well-selected wardrobe.
- Speed Networking (4-7 p.m.): Students should RSVP for a session where they will practice their professional network skills with volunteers from various industries in a casual, informal setting. (NOTE: Attendees of this last event are required to be present for the entire three-hour block.)
All Career & Internship Fair Prep Day events will be held on the lower floor of the Hughes-Trigg Student Center. For more information, contact the Hegi Family Career Development Center at 214-768-2266 or visit online at smu.edu/career.