Sports: Orsini appointed to NCAA men’s basketball committee

SMU swimmer Therese SvendsenTherese Svendsen (left) was named Conference USA Swimmer of the Week for her performance in the Missouri Grand Prix Feb. 12-14, 2010. She posted NCAA “B” qualifying times in the 100- and 200- LC meter backstrokes, and her time of 1:02.84 in the 100 was good for first-place honors. This is her first Swimmer of the Week honor of the season and second of her career. SMU returns to the pool Feb. 24 in Houston as part of the Conference USA Championships. The Mustangs have won all four previous C-USA titles since joining the league in 2005-06. Read more.

SMU tennis player Artem BaradachJunior tennis player Artem Baradach (right) received his first Conference USA Player of the Week honor for his performance against Southern Miss Feb. 13, 2010 – in which he earned a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory in the No. 1 singles slot against Patricio Alvarado, ranked No. 11 in the Southern Region. Currently ranked 71st in the nation, Baradach moved the Mustangs to a 5-3 overall record and 1-1 in the conference. SMU will return to action at 3 p.m. Feb. 20 against Cameron in SMU’s Turpin Tennis Center. Read more.

SMU Athletics Director Steve Orsini has been appointed to the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, as announced by the NCAA. Orsini and Scott Barnes, A.D. at Utah State, both received 5-year appointments that begin Sept. 1, 2010.

The 10-member committee consists of athletics directors and commissioners of Division I member institutions and conferences and oversees administration of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, including the selection, seeding and bracketing of teams for the tournament. The committee is the primary NCAA contact with CBS Sports, the National Association of Basketball Coaches, and other key organizations. Members also serve as stewards for the good of the game, monitoring and taking action as appropriate regarding issues affecting college basketball. Read more.

About Kathleen Tibbetts

EA-PubAffairs(Periodicals)
This entry was posted in Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.