David Blackwell, Huffington Department of Earth Sciences, Dedman College, received the 2009 Joseph W. Aidlin Award at the Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) annual meeting in early October. The GRC, the primary professional educational association for the international geothermal community, gives the Aidlin Award each year for “outstanding contributions to the development of geothermal energy.” Blackwell’s mapping of North American geothermal resources, and his research into using hot wastewater produced from oil and gas wells as a source of electricity, have dramatically expanded the potential for global geothermal energy production.
- 2015 Kimbilio Litfest will introduce African-American fiction writers’ organization to SMU Thursday, Oct. 15
- 2015 SMU Stanton Sharp Lecture explores Texas’ hidden Civil War history, Wednesday, Oct. 14
- Provost candidate Michele Wheatly to meet with SMU faculty, staff Oct. 14-15, 2015
- Provost candidate David Chard to meet with SMU faculty, staff Oct. 5-6, 2015
- Calendar Highlights: Mustang Must-do’s for Oct. 2, 2015