David Blackwell, Huffington Department of Earth Sciences, Dedman College, received the 2009 Joseph W. Aidlin Award at the Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) annual meeting in early October. The GRC, the primary professional educational association for the international geothermal community, gives the Aidlin Award each year for “outstanding contributions to the development of geothermal energy.” Blackwell’s mapping of North American geothermal resources, and his research into using hot wastewater produced from oil and gas wells as a source of electricity, have dramatically expanded the potential for global geothermal energy production.
- Weather: SMU, SMU-in-Plano closed Thursday, March 5, 2015
- Daylight Saving Time 2015 springs forward on Sunday, March 8
- Former President George W. Bush will deliver address at SMU’s 2015 Commencement Saturday, May 16
- Sports: Women’s track and field finishes 3rd at 2015 AAC Indoor Championship
- Students honor professors’ excellence with 2015 HOPE Awards