David Blackwell, Huffington Department of Earth Sciences, Dedman College, received the 2009 Joseph W. Aidlin Award at the Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) annual meeting in early October. The GRC, the primary professional educational association for the international geothermal community, gives the Aidlin Award each year for “outstanding contributions to the development of geothermal energy.” Blackwell’s mapping of North American geothermal resources, and his research into using hot wastewater produced from oil and gas wells as a source of electricity, have dramatically expanded the potential for global geothermal energy production.
- SMU to host international particle physics workshop April 27-May 1, 2015
- Dean Joanne Vogel named interim VP for student affairs effective July 1, 2015
- James K. Hopkins is inaugural recipient of SMU’s Second Century Faculty Career Achievement Award
- Construction creates temporary changes to westbound SMU shuttle routes during April and May 2015
- SMU MayTerm 2015 enrollment underway for main-campus classes that start May 14