David Blackwell, Huffington Department of Earth Sciences, Dedman College, received the 2009 Joseph W. Aidlin Award at the Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) annual meeting in early October. The GRC, the primary professional educational association for the international geothermal community, gives the Aidlin Award each year for “outstanding contributions to the development of geothermal energy.” Blackwell’s mapping of North American geothermal resources, and his research into using hot wastewater produced from oil and gas wells as a source of electricity, have dramatically expanded the potential for global geothermal energy production.
- Research: Learning algebra from Instagram
- Sports: Rachel Nicol posts nation’s fastest breaststroke time, named AAC Women’s Swimmer of the Week
- $1.5 million gift establishes SMU endowed chair in the legal rights and protection of children
- Gerald J. Ford to speak at SMU’s 2014 December Commencement on Dec. 20
- Faculty in the News: Oct. 7-20, 2014