Robert J. Norrell joins SMU experts for Common Reading discussion

Cover of 'Dreams From My Father' by Barack ObamaAuthor and historian Robert J. Norrell, professor of history and Bernadotte Schmitt Chair of Excellence at the University of Tennessee, will join SMU experts in a panel discussion of the University’s 2009 Common Reading at 4 p.m. Sept. 15 in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Theater.

Three SMU professors, all from Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, will participate in the discussion of Barack Obama’s 1995 memoir, Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance:

• Angela Ards, assistant professor of English
  • Kenneth Hamilton, associate professor of history
  • Harold Stanley, Geurin-Pettus Professor of American Politics and Political Economy

Norrell writes about race relations and southern history and is the author of The House I Live In: Race in the American Century (2005, Oxford University Press). His book Reaping the Whirlwind: The Civil Rights Movement in Tuskegee won the Robert F. Kennedy Book Award in 1986.

The event is sponsored by the Gartner Honors Lecture Series, the University Honors Program and the Office of the Provost. For more information, visit SMU Central University Libraries’ Common Reading homepage.

About Kathleen Tibbetts

EA-PubAffairs(Periodicals)
This entry was posted in Calendar Highlights, News and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.