SMU students, faculty and staff who lead and serve their community were recognized April 15 during the 2009 Excellence in Service and Leadership Awards.
The awards were sponsored by the University’s Office of Leadership and Community Involvement, which supports leadership and service activities on campus and in North Texas.
Wright L. Lassiter Jr., chancellor of the Dallas County Community College District, delivered the keynote address, in which he urged students to lead with their hearts and make an impact in their communities.
“As my father told me from a young age, ‘Service is the rent you pay for the space you occupy here on earth,’” Lassiter said. “And then he would add, ‘Junior, I want you to always live in a high-rent district.’”
This year’s winners include:
- Outstanding President: Jaipreet Singh Suri, president of the Sikh Student Association
- Outstanding Student Leader: Keelie Rood, director of administration for Student Foundation
- Individual with Outstanding Leadership Skills: Clayton Gregory
- Outstanding Residence Life Leader: Nicola Muchnikoff, resident assistant in McElvaney Hall
- Inspirational Adviser: Erin Duffy, campus minister for Catholic Campus Ministry
- Individual Dedicated to Service: Cody Meador, founder of the SMU chapter of Democracy Matters and Dallas Stewpot volunteer
- Student Organization: Black Men Emerging
- Greek Organization: Omega Psi Phi
Service-Learning Faculty Awards
- Newcomer in Service-Learning: Julie Adkins, anthropology instructor, Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences
- Excellence in Service-Learning: Bruce Levy, director of the Center for Academic-Community Engagement and senior lecturer in English, Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences
(Above, young students and their SMU tutors outside the University’s Academic-Community Engagement (ACE) House in East Dallas.)