SMU celebrated the completion of a new landscape for the Laura Bush Promenade in February 2009. The Promenade, a garden and seating area that intersects the University’s Fondren Library Center, was given in 1999 by then-Governor George W. Bush as a tribute to his wife’s contributions to literacy and libraries. Mrs. Bush (’68), the recipient of the 2008 Methodist Health System Robert S. Folsom Leadership Award, was surprised at the award ceremony with the announcement that the planting at the Promenade would be renovated courtesy of Lambert Landscape Company. Left to right, R. Gerald Turner, SMU president; April Box Chamberlain, president and CEO, Methodist Health System Foundation; Paul Fields, president and director of design, Lambert Landscape Company; Susan Byerly Nowlin (’67), co-chair, Folsom Leadership Award dinner; Carl Sewell (’66), chairman, SMU Board of Trustees; and Jim Koons, SMU associate vice president for campus planning and plant operations.
- Five receive 2016 SMU Faculty Senate Outstanding Staff Awards
- Some class spaces still available for SMU MayTerm 2016
- Calendar Highlights: The end of Spring 2016 at a glance
- Tech and civic leaders Richard and Mary Templeton to deliver SMU’s 101st Commencement Address Saturday, May 14, 2016
- SMU Tate Series to feature two political legends May 2, 2016