SMU celebrated the completion of a new landscape for the Laura Bush Promenade in February 2009. The Promenade, a garden and seating area that intersects the University’s Fondren Library Center, was given in 1999 by then-Governor George W. Bush as a tribute to his wife’s contributions to literacy and libraries. Mrs. Bush (’68), the recipient of the 2008 Methodist Health System Robert S. Folsom Leadership Award, was surprised at the award ceremony with the announcement that the planting at the Promenade would be renovated courtesy of Lambert Landscape Company. Left to right, R. Gerald Turner, SMU president; April Box Chamberlain, president and CEO, Methodist Health System Foundation; Paul Fields, president and director of design, Lambert Landscape Company; Susan Byerly Nowlin (’67), co-chair, Folsom Leadership Award dinner; Carl Sewell (’66), chairman, SMU Board of Trustees; and Jim Koons, SMU associate vice president for campus planning and plant operations.
- U.S. Department of State issues Worldwide Travel Alert through Feb. 24, 2016
- Helping students with stress during the holiday and exam season
- Calendar Highlights: Mustang-Must-do’s for the Holiday Season
- Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David McCullough honored with SMU’s 2015 Tower Medal of Freedom
- Double discounts at the SMU Bookstore during Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day, Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2015