SMU celebrated the completion of a new landscape for the Laura Bush Promenade in February 2009. The Promenade, a garden and seating area that intersects the University’s Fondren Library Center, was given in 1999 by then-Governor George W. Bush as a tribute to his wife’s contributions to literacy and libraries. Mrs. Bush (’68), the recipient of the 2008 Methodist Health System Robert S. Folsom Leadership Award, was surprised at the award ceremony with the announcement that the planting at the Promenade would be renovated courtesy of Lambert Landscape Company. Left to right, R. Gerald Turner, SMU president; April Box Chamberlain, president and CEO, Methodist Health System Foundation; Paul Fields, president and director of design, Lambert Landscape Company; Susan Byerly Nowlin (’67), co-chair, Folsom Leadership Award dinner; Carl Sewell (’66), chairman, SMU Board of Trustees; and Jim Koons, SMU associate vice president for campus planning and plant operations.
- SMU to host international particle physics workshop April 27-May 1, 2015
- Dean Joanne Vogel named interim VP for student affairs effective July 1, 2015
- James K. Hopkins is inaugural recipient of SMU’s Second Century Faculty Career Achievement Award
- Construction creates temporary changes to westbound SMU shuttle routes during April and May 2015
- SMU MayTerm 2015 enrollment underway for main-campus classes that start May 14