SMU celebrated the completion of a new landscape for the Laura Bush Promenade in February 2009. The Promenade, a garden and seating area that intersects the University’s Fondren Library Center, was given in 1999 by then-Governor George W. Bush as a tribute to his wife’s contributions to literacy and libraries. Mrs. Bush (’68), the recipient of the 2008 Methodist Health System Robert S. Folsom Leadership Award, was surprised at the award ceremony with the announcement that the planting at the Promenade would be renovated courtesy of Lambert Landscape Company. Left to right, R. Gerald Turner, SMU president; April Box Chamberlain, president and CEO, Methodist Health System Foundation; Paul Fields, president and director of design, Lambert Landscape Company; Susan Byerly Nowlin (’67), co-chair, Folsom Leadership Award dinner; Carl Sewell (’66), chairman, SMU Board of Trustees; and Jim Koons, SMU associate vice president for campus planning and plant operations.
- Daylight Saving Time 2015 springs forward on Sunday, March 8
- Former President George W. Bush will deliver address at SMU’s 2015 Commencement Saturday, May 16
- Sports: Women’s track and field finishes 3rd at 2015 AAC Indoor Championship
- Students honor professors’ excellence with 2015 HOPE Awards
- SMU Women’s Symposium celebrates 50 years, looks to the future Wednesday, March 4, 2015