Student honors friend by helping others

Amy Koshy has a long Christmas list – 800 toys, to be exact. For the third year, the junior biology major in Dedman College is spearheading a toy drive for underprivileged children, Patrick’s Parade of Toys, in memory of her friend Patrick Kennedy.

In 2006, after Patrick died in his sleep from a heart attack, Koshy and Patrick’s family honored him by finishing his Eagle Scout project and collecting 1,000 toys for children in a Russian orphanage. For 2008, the toys will be delivered closer to home to children at Jonathan’s Place, a shelter in Dallas for abused and abandoned children.

“This project has been life-changing for me,” Koshy says. “It was the best thing I could do to help me get through the grieving process and continue what Pat would have done had he lived.”

The SMU community can drop off new, unwrapped toys through Dec. 18 at 135 Dedman Life Sciences Building, the Choral Hall in the Owen Arts Center and Shuttles Hall. For more information, visit www.patricksparadeoftoys.org or e-mail Amy.

See Amy in the Patrick’s Parade of Toys video: video

About Kathleen Tibbetts

EA-PubAffairs(Periodicals)
This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.