Provost Paul Ludden and Meadows Dean José Bowen helped to honor 13 staff members who are celebrating their 25th year at the University at the 2008 Staff Recognition Ceremony Oct. 14. The ceremony also recognized two staff members honored in the Staff Association’s annual Loretta O’Reilly Hawkins Award program. Read more.
“In many senses, you are the brain of SMU,” Ludden told the assembled staff members. “From that perspective, the state of SMU is strong and in terrific hands.”
Bowen broke from the tradition of presenting each honoree with a book and instead gave each a CD copy of Somethin’ Else, the classic 1958 jazz album by Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones and Art Blakey.
The five artists “speak in dramatically different voices, and together they make beautiful music,” Bowen said. “You don’t hear conflict, you hear something that’s greater than the sum of its parts.” He then compared their collaboration to the daily work of SMU: “We may not always agree, but if we listen to each other we can be greater together than we can on our own. You are ‘somethin’ else.’ You are terrific, and thank you for it.”
Tracy Anne Allred, director of student services in Perkins School of Theology, received the 2008 Loretta O’Reilly Hawkins Award, established to recognize and reward outstanding performance among University employees. Carl Touchstone of Images Copy Center was a finalist.
The event also honored the following staff members who celebrate their 25th SMU anniversaries this year:
- Leon Bennett, Legal Affairs
- Lydia Dale, Student Activities
- Jane Elder, Bridwell Library
- Paul Golden, Earth Sciences
- Patricia LaSalle, Public Affairs
- Lisa Montes, Legal Clinics
- Carleen Naugle, Meadows School of the Arts/Dean’s Office
- Dee Powell, Cox School of Business/Dean’s Office
- Sherry Reinwald, Enrollment Services/Financial Aid
- Joe Roberts, Biological Sciences
- Rhonda Rompola, Women’s Basketball
- Jim Stillson, Men’s Swimming and Diving
- Billie Katherine Stovall, Central University Libraries
The University has 63 staff members who have been with SMU for 26 to 56 years, Ludden said.