Calendar Highlights: March 20, 2008

'Generation Me' bookcoverArt holiday: The University may be closed March 21, but Meadows Museum will be open for the Good Friday holiday. The Museum is closed on Easter Sunday, March 23, and will resume regular hours March 25. Admission is free for SMU community members and their guests.

Teaching today’s students: The Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and the Office of Student Affairs presents a lecture by Jean Twenge, associate professor of psychology at San Diego State University and author of Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled – and More Miserable Than Ever Before. “The Psychology of Today’s College Student: Generation Me in the Classroom” is scheduled for 2-4 p.m. March 24 in the Hughes-Trigg Theater. RSVP to Troy Behrens in SMU’s Hegi Family Career Development Center.

Faculty talent: Faculty artists from SMU’s Division of Music – including Andrés Díaz (cello), Chee-Yun Kim (violin), Paul Garner (clarinet), Carol Leone (piano) and Kara Welch (flute) – will perform Oliver Messiaen’s Quartet for the End of Time and George Crumb’s Vox Balaenae (Voice of the Whales) in a Faculty Chamber Music Recital 8 p.m. March 25 in Caruth Auditorium, Owen Arts Center. Admission is free.

Nate and Ann Levine Lecture: Amy-Jill Levine, Vanderbilt University, discusses “Jesus and Judaism” at 7:30 p.m. March 27 in McCord Auditorium, Dallas Hall. For more information, call the Department of Religious Studies at 8-2099.

Concerto champs: The Meadows Symphony Orchestra presents its 2008 “New Talent” show, featuring winners of the annual Meadows Concerto Competition, at 8 p.m. March 28 and 3 p.m. March 30 in Caruth Auditorium, Owen Arts Center. Tickets are $7 for SMU faculty, staff and students.

Dianne ReevesIn McFarlin Auditorium:

• March 20: TITAS presents the theatrical gymnastics of Aeros at 8 p.m. For tickets, call 214-528-5576.
  • March 28: TITAS presents Grammy Award-winning jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves (bottom right) at 8 p.m. For tickets, call 214-528-5576.

About Kathleen Tibbetts

EA-PubAffairs(Periodicals)
This entry was posted in Calendar Highlights. Bookmark the permalink.