SMU Environmental Footprint

Post your findings and observations from the SMU Environmental Footprint Meter. Be sure to include resources and helpful tips for residents to help them consume less energy.

4 Responses to SMU Environmental Footprint

1. Chris Wolf says:

I’ve been watching Martin Apartments for the past few weeks, and I have found that they use just about $26.7 of energy each day. For those who are interested, thats equivalent to 344.9 kilo-watt hours or 456.7 pounds of Carbon Dioxide emission.

Some energy efficient tips for all you apartment residents out there are:
    -buy and use compact-fluorescent bulbs
    -shut off and unplug appliances when not in use
    -Go Natural! turn off the lights and open the blinds on a sunny day
    -use the “sleep-mode” on your computers

If you’re looking for more green tips and ideas, or just just need a fun way to kill some time, visit the smu.edu/sustainablility webpage

Stay Green everybody!

Chris

2. Nick Bastoni says:

I noticed some interesting trends in my communities over the last week:

SMU’s sustainablity website seperated Virginia and Snider into two seperate catagories, so it made comparing them pretty easy. I was pretty surprised that Virgina, which spends $275/week on electricity, while Snider, with fewer residents, spends $320/week. Contrastly, Virginia spends $220/week on water, and Snider spends $190/week. I think that the difference here comes from the way the rooms are set up. Virginia’s doors connect to the study area, and they have community bathrooms. Snider’s doors connect to the bedrooms, so there’s about twice as many, and they have private bathrooms. I think what’s happening is that more people come and go through the same door in Virginia so they are more consistently turning off the lights (awesome job guys!), and Snider residents are using less water because of the private bathrooms (also awesome).Virgina residents: you can easily cut back your water usage by cutting your shower time by just a minute or two, and turning off your sink when your not using it at that moment. Snider residents: turn off electronics when you leave your room, and leave them unplugged when not in use. Keeping them plugged in uses almost as much energy as when they’re turned on!

Shuttles’ residents spend about $160/week on water, which is pretty impressive since they have the most residents in my area. However, they’re spending $640/week on electricity which is twice as much as Snider. Turning off and unplugging electronics while not in use is key here; it saves a lot in the long run. And of course, turn off the lights when you leave the room!

Mary Hay and Peyton had one of the most interesting in utilities usage of all of the dorms. They’re the two smallest dorms in my area, but with Mary Hay spending $550/week, and Peyton spending $480/week, they’re the two biggest electricity users in my area by far. What’s interesting about them, though, is that they use the least amount of water, with Mary Hay at $60/week, and Peyton at $45/week. Great job on water conservation guys! Looking at some of the other tips I’ve mentioned here could really help with y’alls elictricity use.

Overall, V-S has the best ratio of cost per resident for for electricity and water, at about $3.80/resident per week. Shuttles, Mary Hay, and Peyton all have room to improve, at about $5.25/resident per week.

I hope that this information was helpful, and I’m sure that you guys will only improve from here!

-Nick Bastoni

3. Katy Grossman says:

I’ve been watching my residences of Martin and Hawk and unfortunately Martin’s appears broken but Hawk is rockin about $12.73 for electricity per day, $8.85 for heat, and $4.58 for cooling per day. I perused the academic buildings and was surprised about the amount of energy Embory Engineering and McElvaney used. McElvaney obviously has Mac’s Place so that uses up a lot of energy, but Embry confused me. Since it’s one of the newest additions to campus I thought it would be more ecofriendly, but it consistently ranked highest on electricity, water, and cooling/heating. I’ve basically narrowed it down to the large amount of use in the building such as the computer labs, science labs that use water, and cooling and heating needs to stabilize temperature. If anyone reading this is an engineering major and knows more just post here and tell me what’s up!

4. Harley Henderson says:

All E-Reps, just a quick FYI. Regarding Virginia & Snider Dorm’s electrical useage, the HVAC and elevator are powered from Snider so that would be the main reason behind Snider reading higher than Virginia. Also here recently,I came across a technical issue that effects electric meters @ Cockrell, Dallas, McElvaney, Morrison & Virginia. The issue has caused these meters to read less usage than what they actually are. This issue will be resolved this week. I will post an update just as soon as I have confirmed the issue to be resolved.
    Thanks
    SMU’s Energy Systems Specialist