SMU announces its annual Creative Writing Contest. In the poetry and fiction-writing categories, $200 will be awarded for a first-place winner and $100 for second place.
The David R. Russel Poetry Award
For the best poem or group of poems not totalling over 100 lines.
The SMU Prize for Prose
Judge: David Winner is the author of the novel The Cannibal of Guadalajara (Gival Press) and also serves as the fiction editor of The American, a magazine based in Rome, Italy. His work has appeared in The Village Voice, Fiction, Confrontation, Cortland Review, Staple, Dream Catcher, Phantasmagori, and KGB. He lives in Brooklyn.
The Margaret Terry Crooks Award
Awarded by the creative writing faculty to the outstanding creative writing student. Not open for submissions. $200
The Lon Tinkle Scholarship
Awarded by the creative writing faculty to a rising senior. Not open for submission. Amount varies.
- Competition is open to all regularly enrolled undergraduate students of SMU.
- TWO COPIES of each entry should be submitted to the English office (Room 5, Dallas Hall) by 5 p.m. Tuesday, February 5, 2013.
- Entries will not be returned. No entry will be considered which has won any award or which has previously been published.
- A contestant may not submit more than one entry in the three categories but may compete in all three.
- Entries should be typed, with the writer’s name, address, phone number and e-mail address on the first page only of both copies, and placed in an envelope bearing the name of the category entered. All entrants will be notified of the results by e-mail (assuming they provide a valid email address with their submission).
- Winners will be announced in March and be honored and featured at the 2013 Literary Festival. They will also be recognized at the 2013 Honors convocation.