Exploring International Theatre

Junior theatre major Eva Meiling Pollitt (Mei Mei) will be attending international theatre festivals in Avignon, France and Edinburgh, Scotland and collecting information about the artistic work being done abroad. You can follow the rest of her blog at evameilingpollitt.wordpress.com 

a visual description

In (counting) four days, I am boarding a plane to Europe to embark on a 5.5 week long journey during which I will experience a lot of international theatre. I will provide information from my experience through this blog. After I return, I will organize this information and create an installation project to be presented at my University that showcases any discoveries I have made regarding the development of contemporary theatre.

Why?

Because I want to be a theatre artist when I grow up. And I happen to go to school with a lot of other people who do too. And I thought it would be a good idea to go to Europe where international theatre festivals are heaping together all sorts of professional theatre artists with all sorts of budgets and all sorts of ideas and see how their work and way of working may influence me and my peers’ budding artistic personalities.

In other words:

To see how the world’s art can be brought into my art.

First, I must research the world. My journey (this time) begins with a 3-week stint in Avignon, France at the Festival D’Avignon, one of the most significant international theatre festivals in the world. I will be taking theatre and French courses at the Université D’Avignon by day and scouring the 40+ performances being presented at the festival by night and weekend.  I will also be interviewing the artists and audiences involved with each performance, as circumstances allow.

Then I shall lollygag for a week or so in the likes of Paris and Brussels, awaiting the beginning of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival which is the most significant international theatre festival in the world. I shall spend 4 days in Edinburgh, Scotland, absorb as much of the most original theatre as possible, interview the artists, etc. Who knows, I may even gain some contemporary theatre experience while in Paris and Brussels. I will certainly be seeking art where ever I go.

Wish me luck. Track my progress at evameilingpollitt.wordpress.com. Tell me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

europeawaits

This entry was posted in Creative, Mei Mei at Theatre Festivals and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Exploring International Theatre

1. BRITTNEY says:

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for inexperienced blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate it.