One Week Out

Junior Thomas Gelo will bring to life the view of a foreign culture from the eyes of a study abroad student through the medium of an Avant Garde film. Read the rest of his journey on his blog site http://tomgelo.wordpress.com/

I’m just six days away from my flight to London.

At this point I’m still not sure what this film is going to evolve into.  Ideas I hope to explore are:

-British perceptions of Americans.

-The human constructs of borders versus free will and a inherent ownership of the Earth.

-Cultural discomfort and dissonance.

I’m excited to know that my good friend Rachel Wilson will be joining me filming her own documentary on the British music scene.  I hope we can bounce ideas off of each other.  In the next week, it’s time to crack down and make sure I have all of my equipment in order.  Check out the details.

I’ve decided to shoot this film in 720p HD, at a frame rate of 60fps.  For a while I was debating this format versus full 1080p HD at 30fps, but settled on 720p for it’s higher frame rate.  This’ll pull in a crisper image especially when the camera’s on the move, and will give me more flexibility with time shifting in the editing room.  Since the majority of my shooting will be in natural light, I don’t expect exposure to be an issue.

My Gear:

I plan to shoot on the Canon Rebel T2i- a great travel camera as it is compact, supports full HD, and has several features of a higher end camera.

Your typical stock Canon Lens, nothing special here.

Your typical stock Canon 18-55mm Lens, nothing special here.

A Canon 75-300mm Telephoto Lens provides nice distance or a boost in perspective for landscape shots.

I picked up this Wide Angle lens converter on Amazon.  This Lens adapter will be perfect for capturing vast European architecture.

I picked up this Wide Angle lens converter on Amazon. This Lens adapter will be perfect for capturing vast European architecture.

Before Wide Angle Adapter

Before Wide Angle Adapter

After Wide Angle Adaptor

After Wide Angle Adaptor

About Meleah Harris

AA-EngagedLearning()
This entry was posted in Creative and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.