With all the awful things happening in the world, you’ve gotta wonder: Who’s doing anything about it?!

I decided to research human rights campaigns in relation to the Olympics simply because I learned a ton about human rights abuses in the History of Human Rights course I took last semester. I left Dr. Halperin’s class thinking, “OK I know what’s wrong with the world, how do I help fix it?” There is this awful sentiment I had leaving the class for the last time. My mother always said, “To whom much is given, much is required.” And I would be remiss to learn all of that history and do nothing with it. So I decided to research human rights campaigns. My hope is to observe their actions and start a movement of my own one day. I just want to be able to say I made a difference. No one likes debbie downers who whine and complain about the injustices of this world. People love the ones who have the courage to stand and change things. Maybe my goal is idealistic, but I have always set high expectations and this part of my life is no different. Sooo my journey began a few weeks ago! I am trying to learn as much as I can from the brave people behind the Green Wash Gold campaign. I have immense respect for them because it is hard to stand for human rights when no one around you really cares. Yet we have seen so many people do it over the years and they helped paved the way for us.

About Brittany Dickey

My name is Brittany Dickey. I am a senior at Southern Methodist University. I am recieving my bachelor's degree in Communication Studies with a minor in Human Rights. This summer I am researching how organizations use the 2012 Olympics to raise awareness about human rights abuses.
This entry was posted in Research and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.