Oxford Study Abroad – 2018

By Samuel Fishman, 1L
Wednesday, June 27, 2018

We arrived in Oxford on Monday, June 25, 2018, and it has been a dream experience ever since. We started class on Tuesday; I am taking Comparative Free Speech with Professor Carpenter. Discussing political philosophy and ideas about personal liberties at Oxford just feels right. Last night, we had our first High Table dinner, a very formal occasion with Professors Carpenter and Coleman, as well as some of the Oxford tutors. It was a beautiful way to kick off the next six weeks (even though we were all pretty hot in our suits in the AC-less room).

I’m not a runner but I heard about the trail along the Christ Church Meadow so I had to go check it out. I never thought it would be possible, but I am actually excited to go run every day now. The setting is something truly out of a movie. Words and pictures cannot do it justice. The group has also checked out a few of the pubs for some lukewarm cask ales. The most noteworthy ones are The Eagle and Child, where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to hang out, as well as the Turf Tavern. I can’t wait to see what the next six weeks have in store!

SMU Dedman School of Law’s Oxford Study Abroad Summer Program takes place at University College, Oxford. Established in 1249 by William of Durham, University College, Oxford, is known to be the oldest college in Oxford or Cambridge.

About Kristy Offenburger

AA-Law(Law Development)