Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences

Harrison Fagg, the youngest Montana delegate will attend SMU this fall

Great Falls Tribune

Originally Posted: July 18, 2016

CLEVELAND — The youngest and oldest members of Montana’s delegation to the Republican National Convention bring very different perspectives to the quadrennial event.

The 27 Montana delegates casting votes will include World War II veteran Dennis Scranton, 92, and recent high-school graduate Harrison Fagg, 19. They are both supporting Donald Trump.

“I decided to run (as a delegate) because I figured this election will probably shape the rest of my life,” Fagg said. “The younger people have a lot more to lose from a poor president, a poor nomination process or even a poor platform for any of the major parties.”

Fagg was optimistic his first convention would not only be a learning experience, but one he could use to lobby on behalf of youth and make sure the GOP principles aren’t focused just on older delegates. Republicans, he said, need to do more to help the middle class get a higher education through an increase in grants and other programs.

“Even though I’m fiscally conservative, I think every dollar you invest in college is definitely worth it,” said Fagg, a Billings resident who will attend Southern Methodist University this fall. READ MORE