Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Political Science Undergraduate News

Political Science student blogs from the presidential campaign trail

SMU Adventures

Originally Posted: February 2016

SMU students traveled to New Hampshire to visit presidential campaign headquarters and organize focus groups for CNN during the Iowa caucus. They were accompanied by Rita Kirk, SMU communications professor and director of the Maguire Center for Ethics and Public Responsibility. Here is an excerpt from Anthony, a senior majoring in political science:

Not Your Everyday Class
Usually, in the morning before class I wake up at 5 a.m., shower, have a bite to eat, put on a decent pair of jeans, a not-so-wrinkled shirt, and some sneaks or boots. I grab my books and notes, place them in my aging mahogany-colored satchel, and head off into the thick of 7 a.m. traffic to reach campus by 9 a.m. Today was different.

I woke up at 2 a.m., grabbed a bite to eat, showered and donned a freshly pressed shirt and tie, along with my nicely tailored black pants and jacket to match, and a brand-new pair of nicely polished black leather shoes. Along with my satchel, I also had in tow a small carry-on bag to bring with me to class. A carry- on bag, one may ask? What type of class is this? Clearly, not an ordinary one.

Normally this class runs Tuesdays, 9:30 -10:50 a.m. This time it started on Sunday, 4:45 a.m., and would not end until 2 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. And in place of my traditional Women in Politics Seminar course curriculum, I embarked on a trip that turned into a fast-paced presidential political roller coaster, which happened to be broadcast on live television. READ MORE