Dedman College Research Faculty News Political Science

Cal Jillson, Political Science, former state Sen. Wendy Davis will not run again for her former seat

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Originally Posted: October 21, 2015

Former state Sen. Wendy Davis misses public office and hopes to serve again someday.

But there’s one job the Fort Worth Democrat won’t take: the state Senate District 10 seat she represented for more than six years.

“I hope to support a candidate from Senate District 10 who is going to reflect the priorities of the people who live in that community, rather than the very narrow priorities that are being reflected by the current senator in office,” Davis, a former Democratic gubernatorial candidate, told the Star-Telegram this week. “But it won’t be me.”

State Sen. Konni Burton, R-Colleyville, who won the seat last year, said she’s not surprised Davis would support someone to challenge her.

“Obviously we couldn’t be further from each other in terms of politics,” Burton said. “I won in the general election with [52.83] percent of the vote. She can say all she wants that I don’t represent the district.

“It’s very obvious in the voter turnout that I do.”

Observers say they aren’t surprised that Davis won’t seek re-election to the Senate seat.

“People usually don’t go back to a rung they’ve already attained,” said Cal Jillson, a political science professor at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. “If a politician tries to move up and fails to do that, they are oftentimes out of politics.” READ MORE