Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences Dedman College Research Earth Sciences Faculty News

Tim Brys Dinosaur Fossil Dates Back to 100 Million Years Ago

NewsMax

Posted: April 10, 2015

Tim Brys and his son made a discovery of their lifetimes on a hill behind a Texas grocery store when they found a dinosaur fossil that paleontologists believe dates back 100 million years.

Brys, who is employed at the Dallas Zoo, and 4-year-old Wylie received help from a team of scientists from Dallas’ Southern Methodist University this week in excavating the fossil they originally found last fall in the Fort Worth suburb of Mansfield, reported the Dallas Morning News.

“We commonly go collect fossils as something we can do together to be outside. Wiley enjoys coming with me on my trips,” Brys told KXAS-TV about his walks with his son.

“We were finding some fish vertebrae in the hillside, and then Wiley walked a little ways ahead of me and came back with a piece of bone. And I paused and was like, ‘OK, where did you find this?'”

Even though the Brys found the bones in September, this week was one of the earliest days SMU researchers could start digging because they needed permits to get on the land and excavate. READ MORE