Fall Break 2017

Fall Break at SMU is October 6-10. I am taking off for New York on Friday October 5.  I don’t teach on Fridays. Friday is also the last day of the student Brown Bag performance series. I am the faculty Artistic Director. I will have one of the other adjudicators fill in for me. I will be staying with Frank Davis again in his great, small one bedroom apartment on 11th Street. I always enjoy visiting with Frank. We have a good time.

We will be having Friday night dinner at Red Farm. It is the most amazing Dim Sum restaurant and is just around the corner from Frank’s apartment on Hudson Street. I am obsessed with Red Farm. They don’t take reservations and it is usually a bit chaotic, but it is worth it.

I hope we can see a show on Saturday night. I have already tried to get tickets for Dear Evan Hanson and The Prince of Broadway (the newly opened Harold Price show), but nothing was available. I even tried to get tickets to Hello Dolly. The only thing available were premium seats at $650 each – not happening. Finally got two seats at the second preview performance of Butterfly. It is the first major revival of the play and stars Clive Owen. Not familiar with the man/woman playing Butterfly, Jin Ha, but in the original production, it was B D Wong, later of Law and Order fame. The play opened on Broadway in 1988 with John Lithgow playing the French diplomat.

I am not sure if I will get to see Trevor Lewis (my oldest friend – came out together). He will be in Pennsylvania for his mother’s 91st birthday. Her birthday is on Thursday and he hopes to make it back to the city by Sunday. I hope he can do it, haven’t seen him in a long time. His younger brother Mark passed away about a month ago after a protracted and painful illness.

So, I will not get to see Trevor. He won’t get back to the city in time. Believe it or not, having lived in Manhattan for fifteen years, I have never been inside the main New York Public Library. That is on my list of things to do. I have been to the Performing Arts Library countless times. Onward!

Here’s to a great Fall Break!

Trip cancelled – the flu – damn!

One Response to Fall Break 2017

1. This article has served my purpose by giving me some necessary details.