Finding the research you need is about to get a lot faster at SMU.
The SMU Libraries are proud to announce the arrival of the Next Generation Library System.
In June 2017, the libraries will “go live” with the Ex Libris Alma library management service and Primo discovery and delivery service. Alma and Primo will serve as the first enterprise system at SMU to be entirely cloud-based, greatly reducing the need for maintenance and associated costs.
Alma is an easy-to-use platform which replaces a variety of library products including the 18-year old Voyager system which SMU’s eight libraries use to manage patron records, course reserves, circulation information, and library catalog records. Major advantages of Alma include the streamlining of behind-the-scenes workflows, thus enabling library staff to keep pace with an ever-changing information environment, and the rich analytics which provide high-levels of insight and foster better decision-making in shaping collections around the SMU community’s research needs.
Primo provides an all-in-one search of the SMU Libraries’ vast print, electronic, and digital collections. It will replace both the current library catalog and the Discover SMU Libraries search in addition to pulling together results from other platforms such as bepress, ContentDM, and RefWorks. Primo’s sophisticated search and relevance ranking algorithm ensures the SMU community will be even more productive and innovative in their research.
How will SMU researchers benefit from Primo?
- Faster: Save time by searching almost all of the SMU Libraries’ collections and beyond in one simple search.
- Easier: The enhanced user experience will make searching less frustrating.
- More Discovery: Explore and learn through automatic recommendations, virtual title browsing, and citation trails.
- Personalized Search Experience: Log in to save your research preferences. Save your items in your eShelf and easily export to RefWorks or EndNote.
- On-the-Go: Improved, mobile user interface allows researchers to search on their favorite mobile device.
- Seamless Integration: Alma and Primo work together to provide one user-friendly account for most library needs.
“Ex Libris, a ProQuest company, is a leading global provider of cloud-based solutions for higher education. Offering SaaS solutions for the management and discovery of the full spectrum of library and scholarly materials, as well as mobile campus solutions driving student engagement and success, Ex Libris serves thousands of customers in 90 countries.”