From the Nov. 9, 2013, edition of SMU Bubblelife:
In addition, Brad E. Cheves, SMU vice president for Development and External Affairs, presented the city with a resolution from the University congratulating the city on reaching its centennial milestone.
Ceremonies dedicating plaques associated with the landmarks were held at Armstrong Elementary School, the Dallas Country Club, and Highland Park Village
The wording on the plaques read as follows:
Highland Park Independent School District
In 1914, the Highland Park Independent School District was founded for the education of the children of this community. John S. Armstrong School opened that year, and was named for the developer of the Town of Highland Park.
Grades K – 10 met in this four room schoolhouse, but students completed high school at Bryan St. High School in Dallas until a district high school was built in 1922 on Normandy Ave. The District currently has seven campuses.
The high school is consistently ranked among the nation’s best, excelling in academic, athletics and the fine arts. Alumni have earned distinctions including the Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize, Tony Award, Grammy Award, Heisman Trophy, Olympic metals, and have served in leadership roles in many fields. They personify the District’s motto, “Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve.”
Dallas Country Club
Founded in 1896, Dallas Country Club is the oldest country club in Texas, and among the oldest in the United States. It was also one of the first to be used as the centerpiece of a residential development.
The Club has been the site of many firsts in Texas golf, hosting the first Dallas tournament in 1898, the first state-wide tournament in 1903, and the first Texas Golf Assn. Tournament in 1906.
The Club moved to its current location from Oak Lawn in 1912, and became the center of social activity in Dallas. This clubhouse is the sixth, and opened in 2012.
Highland Park Village
Highland Park Village is located on land that was originally part of the Cole family farm, and later became Henry Exall’s wheat field. As the Town of Highland Park grew, its developers, Hugh Prather and Edgar Flippen decided to create a town square for the community. Seeking inspiration for the Spanish-Mediterranean style, they traveled with their architects, Marion Fooshee and James Cheek, to the 1929 Barcelona World’s Fair as well as Mexico and California.
When it opened in 1931, the only tenants were a gas station on Preston Rd. and the block of shops at the southwest corner of the center. The Village is recognized as the first planned shopping center with a unified style and stores facing interior parking. The Village Theater was opened by Karl Hoblitzelle in 1935, and was the first suburban movie theater in Texas. Completed in 1947, the Village is today one of the most exclusive shopping centers in the country.