Alternative Breaks 2011: Notes from Ecuador

I went on an alternative break to Ecuador this past spring break and had an amazing experience.

Ecuador is not a country covered much in the news (well, why on planet earth would journalists cover it when there are the ultra important Charlie Sheen matters to keep updated on), but it is a nation that deserves as much attention for its cultural beauty and spirit, as it does for its need for better schools and economic system.

During our trip the group worked with children from outdoor markets. These kids are often robbed of a real childhood because they are recruited to work the markets from exceedingly young ages, sometimes even as young as four. For at least two hours a day we tried to give them back a small piece of their childhood, attempting to give them the undivided attention they desperately crave, but rarely receive.

We practiced their math skills, and even tried to teach them some basic English, but I think the true purpose was to show them that there are people in this world that care about them, and want them to do well.

When I was younger, I was the ultimate idealist. I thought I could save the world and that there could be easy fixes to issues well beyond my understanding. The older I get, the more I understand how complicated the world really is. Don’t get me wrong, I am still an idealist; I still believe that people are inherently good, that we care about each another, and I even believe that I can change the world, but unlike before, I now understand the journey will not be as easy as I had originally imagined it.

As I look back on my experience with the market children: their filthy clothes, their worn-down shoes and sunburned cheeks, the mammoth hugs that make you feel like you are suffocating in love, my four-year-old self cannot help but feel hopeful about all their futures. Then, the devastating reality that many of them will not break the cycle of poverty hits me, and I wonder if I am making a difference at all.

I constantly struggled with this question during my stay. I finally came to the conclusion that while most of these kids probably will not be doctors, many will hopefully gain a better appreciation for the possibilities that the world has to offer. The cycle may not break with them, but if they instill those values into their own children, slowly but surely a new generation of leaders will emerge.

-Essete Workneh
Journalism Major
Class of 2013

This entry was posted in Alternative Breaks, Alternative Breaks 2011, Service. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Alternative Breaks 2011: Notes from Ecuador

1. Squidoo.com says:

Amazing write up! thank you!

2. Mark says:

Hey there, You have done an excellent job.
    I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I’m sure they will be benefited from this website.

3. It is important to note that DTC guarantees delivery and if the buyer or seller of the security
    being cleared through DTC does not deliver the purchase price or security sold, DTC fulfills the obligations of the party that did not deliver.
    But the California Court of Appeals in the recently published decision in Bader v Anderson
    explained, that the prerequisite to maintaining the derivative suit requires a real showing that a
    minority shareholder either made a demand upon the corporation’s board
    of directors to take action on behalf of the corporation as
    an exercise of their business judgment or that making such a demand would
    be legally futile. The professionals who work in this sector of
    the financial industry possess essential skills
    and knowledge in forensic accounting fraud investigation techniques.

4. Pretty component of content. I just stumbled upon
    your blog and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact loved
    account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing on your
    feeds or even I success you get admission to constantly quickly.

5. This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to
    keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was
    almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!)
    Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say,
    and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

6. Hi there, after reading this amazing paragraph i am as well happy to share my know-how here with friends.

7. Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
    You have done a extraordinary job!

8. Hello Dear, are you really visiting this website on a regular basis,
    if so then you will definitely take pleasant knowledge.