Fall events helped highlight SMU’s celebration of campus development, commemorated throughout 2012. The events also represented part of the ongoing Second Century Celebration, marking the centennials of SMU’s founding in 1911 and opening in 1915.
Celebrating campus growth
As part of its Homecoming celebration, the University hosted a historic gathering of the leaders and major donors who funded construction of campus facilities, beginning in 1912 with the laying of the Dallas Hall cornerstone and creation of the first campus master plan.
Guests received a briefing on SMU’s current campus development projects from President R. Gerald Turner as well as a preview of the George W. Bush Presidential Center, opening spring 2013, from architect Graham S. Wyatt of Robert A.M. Stern Architects LLC.
Attendees at the event spanned the history of the University. Representing original donors of the campus land in 1911 were descendants of two leading Dallas families: the W. W. Caruth, Sr., family, represented by John Caruth and his daughter, Erin Caruth Mugavero, as well as Brent Christopher, president and CEO of Communities Foundation of Texas; and the Alice T. Armstrong family, represented by Gayl Prather Smith and two of her children.
Also in attendance were donors of major features that make up SMU’s Dallas, Plano and Taos campuses:
- SMU trustee Bill Armstrong ’82 and Liz Martin Armstrong ’82, supporters of SMU-in-Taos and namesakes of Armstrong Commons, currently under construction.
- SMU trustee Bradley W. Brookshire ’76 and Ann Warmack Brookshire ’77, donors to Fondren Library Center and the new SMU Tennis Complex, now under construction south of Mockingbird Lane.
- Cox School of Business namesake and Trustee Emeritus Edwin L. Cox ’42.
- Trustee Rev. Mark Craig of Highland Park United Methodist Church, a long-standing neighbor and major donor to campus improvements.
- B.W. Crain and Lawson Crain, representing the Ann Lacy Crain family, donors of the Ann Lacy Crain Fountain and the new Crain Family Centennial Promenade.
- Mary Anne Sammons Cree, benefactor of the Calatrava sculpture fountain Wave, at the Meadows Museum.
- Trustee Katherine Raymond Crow ’94, representing her late father-in-law, namesake of the Trammell Crow Building in the Cox School.
- Robert Decherd, CEO of A. H. Belo Corporation, representing The Belo Foundation, supporter of the Belo Journalism Center and related facilities.
- Trustee Robert H. Dedman, Jr. ’80, ’84 and Nancy McMillan Dedman ’50, representing their family, which supports Dedman College, Dedman School of Law, Dedman Lifetime Sports Center and the Dedman Life Sciences Building.
- Lauren M. Embrey ’80, ’06, representing the Embrey Human Rights Program and her late father, namesake of the J. Lindsay Embrey Engineering Building.
- Gloria Slaughter Hammack ’52 and John A. Hammack, representing the Meadows Foundation and the Meadows family, longtime supporters of the Meadows School of the Arts and the Meadows Museum.
- Linda W. Hart ’65 and Milledge A. Hart, III, supporters of numerous campus facilities and projects, including the Hart eCenter at SMU-in-Plano and the R. Gerald Turner President’s Board Room in Perkins Administration Building.
- Trustee and engineering school namesake Bobby B. Lyle ’67.
- Sally Smith Mashburn ’77, daughter of the late Dr.
- Bob Smith ’44, and Bill Womble of the Dr. Bob Smith Foundation, supporters of the renovation of the campus’s Memorial Health Center.
- Trustee David B. Miller ’72, ’73, namesake of the Miller Event Center, currently under construction on the north side of Moody Coliseum.
- SMU Board of Trustees Chair Caren H. Prothro, representing the families of Joe J. and Lois Perkins and Charles and Elizabeth Perkins Prothro ’39, namesakes of the Perkins School of Theology and several facilities across campus.
- Jamie Gilmer Williams ’75, ’92, ’03, representing the Moody Foundation, which is supporting the renovation of Moody Coliseum, and her husband, Craig E. Williams, Sr.
- Representing the George W. Bush Foundation were its president, Hon. Mark Langdale, and Hon. Jeanne L. Phillips ’76, an SMU trustee and Bush Foundation board member.
- Family members of SMU’s current president and former presidents also attended the event. They included Gail Turner, spouse of SMU’s current president, R. Gerald Turner; Robert Hyer Thomas ’53, ’57, grandson of SMU’s first president, Robert S. Hyer, and Gail Griffin Thomas ’58; and Jo Ann Withers, daughter of SMU’s fifth president, Willis M. Tate, and John H. Withers.
The SMU Campus at 100
SMU has published The SMU Campus at 100: A Century of Shared Commitment, a comprehensive guide to the campus’s facilities, monuments and special features, the first publication of its kind since the University’s 50th anniversary celebration in 1965.
The beautiful commemorative book features hundreds of color photographs as well as written histories of all of SMU’s buildings. To order a copy, please visit smu.edu/campus100.
Dallas Hall birthday celebration
A Dallas Hall Society dinner on November 28 celebrated the centennial laying of the Dallas Hall cornerstone. The dinner, held in the building’s rotunda, featured remarks by Darwin Payne, professor emeritus of communications and SMU centennial historian.
The dinner marked the culmination of a 30-day countdown that began Saturday of Homecoming weekend. Large birthday cards were placed on the Boulevard and in Dallas Hall, allowing students, faculty, staff and alumni to leave a celebratory message. Special buttons, party hats and birthday cupcakes were created for the occasion.
A dedication plaque was unveiled November 28 mounted on the exterior of Dallas Hall at the location of the cornerstone. The text of the plaque notes: “SMU named Dallas Hall in honor of the citizens who so generously supported its construction and city which welcomed the new university….We commend those visionary donors and leaders who created the crowning symbol of SMU, the national historic landmark and point of civic pride we know as Dallas Hall.”
Campus map highlights new facilities
As part of the celebration of campus development, SMU produced a highly detailed, 3D campus map. In addition to showing existing structures, the map also features new buildings and facilities currently being funded by The Second Century Campaign. The map highlights points of interest and provides other visitor information. It also will serve as the basis for an interactive online virtual tour of the University. To preview the map, please visit smu.edu/Map100.