Athletics are a vibrant part of the SMU campus experience. In 2008–09, five teams won Conference USA titles: cross country, women’s basketball, men’s and women’s swimming and diving and women’s tennis. Teams ranking or finishing in the top 25 nationally included cross country, equestrian, men’s and women’s swimming and diving and women’s tennis.
Following is a rundown of other athletic program highlights for 2008–09:
- SMU has been ranked as the top school in its conference in the U.S. Sports Academy Directors’ Cup Division 1 Standings in 10 of the last 12 years.
- Four SMU coaches were named Conference Coaches of the Year.
- 46 SMU student-athletes were named Conference USA Academic Medal Winners.
- 209 SMU student-athletes were named to the Conference USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll.
- SMU boasts a remarkable 96-percent graduation rate among student-athletes who exhaust their eligibility at SMU.
- Six of SMU’s athletic programs scored a perfect 100-percent mark in NCAA Graduation Success Rates, and all 15 of SMU’s programs rated by the NCAA for graduation success were equal to or better than the national average.
- SMU is proud to have four former National Coaches of the Year – June Jones (football), Matt Doherty (men’s basketball), Steve Collins (women’s swimming) and Jim Stillson (men’s and women’s diving).
To learn about supporting SMU Athletics, please contact Tim Leonard at 214-768-4465 or firstname.lastname@example.org.