August 2013

Dear Fellow Alums,

This is an exciting time to be a part of the SMU family! As our University continues to build new buildings, strengthen its academic and athletic programs, and rise higher in its national reputation, the Black Alumni of SMU board has been hard at work to better serve you. An exciting year of networking, outreach, scholarship, and social events have been planned, and we are looking forward to setting a new fundraising record for the Black Alumni of SMU Scholarship this year!

You are cordially invited to attend our Open House on Tuesday, August 27th at 6:30pm at the SMU Alumni Engagement Office located at 6200 N Central Expressway, Dallas, TX 75206. Here, you will learn more about our events and of how you can play an active role. I look forward to personally greeting you at the Open House.

Here’s to a great year on the Hilltop, and beyond!

Go Mustangs!

Michael W. Waters, ’02, ’06, ’12

Chair, Black Alumni of SMU

Upcoming Events

Black Alumni of SMU Open House

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

RSVP here

Homecoming

October 24-27, 2013

2012-2013 Academic Year Recap

Last year was an amazing year for Black Alumni of SMU. We connected together for Homecoming festivities last October, contributed our time through two community service events at the North Texas Food Bank, and came together at a beautiful reception honoring our 2013 History Makers.

We also embarked on a record year of giving for Black Alumni, raising over $11,000 in scholarship money for two very deserving student recipients, Mariam Alaka and Hanan Hassan.

I am personally honored to have served as the Chair of Black Alumni for the 2012-2013 Academic Year and thank everyone who served on the board for all of their efforts. I am also so thankful for each member of our community who donated time, money and insight toward making our organization a success.

I am excited about Michael Waters’ leadership for this year and the things that Black Alumni of SMU have planned for the current year.

Pony Up!

Lauren Driskell ‘06

Past Chair, Black Alumni of SMU

Many companies offer matching gifts for charitable donations. Double your donation dollars by checking out your company’s policy. Here is a quick searchable site of companies that do matching gifts:

http://www.matchinggifts.com/smu/

Last year, the Black Alumni of SMU Scholarship Fund received matching gifts from AT&T Foundation, Chevron Humankind Matching Gift Program and Exxon Mobil Foundation. Special thanks to David Huntley, Jessica Jones and Brittney Honora for doubling their donations last year!

Q & A with Theresa Jackson

Name: Theresa Jackson

Class Year: 1995 and 2010

Hometown: Dallas, TX

Organizational involvement while at SMU: Business School Senator, Student Foundation, Senior Class Council, ABS, Sisters Supporting Sisters, Voices of Inspiration

Tell us about your experience at SMU:

I loved my time at SMU as an undergraduate. During those four years, I truly feel that I learned most of the important things a young person is suppose to learn during his/her college years. Yes, I gained knowledge from my classes that prepared me for my career, but I learned real life skills. By the time I graduated, I gained social skills to propel me into the next phase of my life, I found an appreciation for what real friendship can mean in life, I began to know and trust myself and my abilities, and I discovered the strong work ethic that has aided in a successful career.

In April, you attended the Black Alumni/Association of Black Students community service event at the North Texas Food Bank. Tell us a little bit about that experience.

The afternoon at the NTFB was gritty, grimy, and a little slimy, but a great time was had by all. Our group was given the task of sorting through boxes of donated goods. We laughed from our beginning instructions to our cleanup duties. Current students and alums worked side by side to complete our task for the day. Everyone really enjoyed being able to help give back to others. I think this was a great event and we should go again.

What motivated you to get involved with the Black Alumni of SMU?

As a founding member of the Black Alumni (formerly African American Alumni Associates), I wanted to continue to be involved with the University as well as give back to the students and the University.

Do you have any comments for the Black Alumni audience?

Please get involved. If you have the opportunity, please join us in some type of activity. There is community service, activities with students, and social activities. And if none of the current events and activities appeal to you, then feel free to propose new events and activities.

Theresa (left) photographed with other alumni at the North Texas Food Bank. Theresa and Alicia Booker are co-chairing the Black Alumni of SMU homecoming events. Be on the lookout for more information soon!

Black Alumni of SMU is all over the web! Connect With Us Online

Want upcoming program updates?

Check out our webpage and access to the giving page http://smu.edu/alumni/chapters/blackalumni/

Looking for a Job? Does your company pay for employee referrals?

Connect with other professionals, view and post job openings at our Black Alumni of SMU LinkedIn page

Do you “Like” us?

Like our Black Alumni of SMU page to view event photos and learn about upcoming programs.

Wondering what your old classmates are they doing?

Join our Black Alumni of SMU Facebook Group to keep up with other alumni.

Do you Tweet?

Follow us @SMUBlackAlum

Contact

About Black Alumni of SMU

Follow us

Black Alumni of SMU

The Black Alumni of SMU group keeps alumni connected to SMU and each other through a variety of social, cultural, professional and academic programs. Our goal is to help recruit and retain academically talented minority students at SMU.

@SMUBlackAlum

Black Alumni of SMU

EA-AlumniRel()