October 24, 2017

So what does a typical day in the life of a Meadows student really look like, hour by hour? We asked double major Stejara Dinulescu (B.A. Art and B.A. Creative Computing ’19) to share her schedule and offer a glimpse of what juggling classes, homework, club meetings is like. 

M W F

9-11 a.m. Work in my art studio! This chunk of time is a perfect amount to get some painting done and get my creative juices flowing to carry me through the next couple of days. I generally work on individual projects or applications for gallery exhibitions.

11-11:50 a.m. I am in an art history class, all about ancient civilizations from the Paleolithic times all the way through the Greeks and Romans. On Mondays and Wednesdays, the professor lectures, and on Fridays, we have “section,” where we participate in activities related to what we had learned. When learning about cuneiform, we made our own cuneiform tablets by writing our names in the script! When learning about the Egyptians, we made our own perfume from essential oils and learned about the stages of mummification.

12-1 p.m. Lunch with friends!

1-2:50 p.m. On Mondays/Wednesdays, this is another time for me to hang out with my friends and do some work, generally in the Meadows atrium or the Starbucks in Fondren Library. On Fridays, I teach a lab for students in the C++ class, a combined computer science and creative computing class, since I am a TA. This is a time for me to cover some things that will be helpful for the students to complete the next lab and to answer any questions that they have in general.

3-3:50 p.m. I am in Memory and Cognition, a psychology class all about how we think and store information.

4-6 p.m. More time for work! On Wednesdays, however, I have a meeting of the Student Art Association, for which I am the secretary. The club meets every two weeks and the executive board meets during the weeks that the club doesn’t meet. Our meetings consist of eating spaghetti and running workshops, like canvas stretching or art activism, or running critiques of work in progress that the members present.

6-7 p.m. Dinner with friends!

7-11 p.m. More time for homework! If I finish my homework early, I usually hang out with friends or take some time to myself to relax if I need it.

11-11:30 p.m. Shower and make tea before bed!

The C.E. and Mary Kathryn Doolin Gallery provides space for the exhibition of student work.

T – TH

7:30-9 a.m. This is my time to wake up, snooze in bed a couple of times, get ready for my day, and have breakfast in the Umphrey Lee Dining Hall. The earlier I wake up, the more time I get to myself before I start my day, so I try to wake up at 7:30 to have 30 minutes to make tea, watch TED talks, or listen to music before working or going to class.

9:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m. I am in class for the entire morning on Tuesdays/Thursdays. My first class is Aesthetics and Computation, a creative computing class where I am working with a team on creating software for a company in Dallas. Next is Developmental Psychology, which explains child development and behavior.

12:30-1 p.m. Lunch with friends!

1-3 p.m. During these two hours, I work in SMU’s Social Clinical Neuroscience lab out of the Psychology Department. We are currently running a study, so I generally run participants through a couple of laboratory tasks and surveys.

3:30-6:20 p.m. Again, class! I have Cognitive Neuropsychology first, where we learn about clinical disorders of the brain to better understand its structure and function. Next is Interactive Performance, a creative computing class using the Max language to create auditory and visual performances with technology.

6:30-7:30 p.m. Dinner with friends!

7:30-8:30 p.m. A little time to relax, finally. Generally, I watch an episode on

Netflix, read a book or paint in my studio. I take this time to recharge a little bit before having to think about work.

8:30-9:30 p.m. I am on the SMU Ballroom dance team, and this is generally when we have Silver practice. Sometimes I stay for Gold, a higher level, which runs until about 10:30. This is my time to exercise, by doing something I absolutely LOVE, and to socialize with the team, which is like a family to me. Our coach, Rommel, volunteers to teach lessons twice a week for three hours (three different levels of dancing). We are very grateful to have him and to have each other!

9:30-10 p.m. Shower, make tea and get ready for homework.

10-11:30 p.m. Wrap up on the homework that I didn’t get to do for Wednesday or Friday. My Mondays,  Wednesdays and Fridays are emptier  than my Tuesdays/Thursdays, as I only have two classes instead of four, so those are the days that I do most of my work. This time window on Tuesdays/Thursdays is a safety buffer, just in case I need to  finish some things for the next day.

11:30 p.m. Sleep for eight hours so that I can be well rested for the next busy day!

Follow SMU Art for more.